• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

resurrect the saint within the wretch; flower
    He confirms her suspicions, and at first she does not understand the look of guilt that darkens the navy of his eyes to a shade of desolate night. There is a bitterness too, when he speaks again, and she finds that it makes her watch him more closely now, analyzing the furrow in his brow and the lines of tension making near welts along his jaw. She reaches out with cool lips to touch the muscle there, smoothing it with a touch like is not unlike worn garnet. “Where do you go when you disappear?” She asks, and the question comes without waiting for her permission, spun to life on a tongue that has far less shame than the body it belongs to. “Must you go alone?”

And when the subject shifts again, she is not quick to push it back to her own curiosities. She cannot be sure that her questions do not wound him, that her words aren’t creating new wounds over the top of old scars that never have a chance to heal. Instead she smiles at him, her golden eyes as soft as that impossible smile on such impossible, glass lips. “I hope you aren’t shy,” she notes, and her eyes shine with a mirth she makes no effort to hide from him, a smile she intends to warm even  the most frigid depths with, “or squeamish. Though, perhaps it is best that you’ll meet them in daylight.” The next smile is a secretive one, but her eyes shine as bright as trapped suns, burning in golden perpetuity as she watches him.

When his eyes find her again, lifting to meet her own gaze, she rewards him with another easy smile, reaching out to touch her lips to the soft place beside the corner of his mouth. She notices the smile, though it is only a gentle twitch from a muscle she decides he should use far more often, but the presence of it feels like a reward and fills her with a warmth she holds close. “They were possibly wrong.” She amends, and then a soft laugh bubbles up from the depths of her. It is easy to settle against him when he pulls her in closer, shielding her beneath the feathers of his wing.

His kiss though, when it comes hand-in-hand like a companion of her quiet pain, surprises her. Not because it is unwelcome - in fact she leans into him more gently, eyes closing so her vision reduces first to the fringe of lashes, and then to nothing at all - but because it comes with an intensity she had not expected from him. One, she thinks in the secret parts of her deepest self, that she does not share with him. He doesn’t pull away, and she doesn’t ask him to. This closeness is a comfort, his unguarded affection unexpected but welcome. Though, it is dangerous for the broken to feel beautiful, like finding higher peaks to fall from.

“Maybe I should be glad not to have a forever like this.” She is thinking of her easy brokenness, of all the things she cannot do, and it is long moments before she becomes aware of the way she sinks so readily into the dark. With an abruptness she shakes herself, frowning and then softening again, bumping her cheek against his neck with a smile that is only forced for an instant and then suddenly real. “I am being silly now, aren’t I. A life of short joy is far better than an eternity of pain.” Her tone is stubborn and warm, her eyes flashing gold as she lifts her chin to smile at him. “Well, come on,” she says, wiggling out of his embrace to stand beside him, bumping her nose playfully against his shoulder, “time to go meet my family before I reduce us both to tears, yes?”

FLOWER

i'm only steady on my knees

@[Warden]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: resurrect the saint within the wretch; flower - by flower - 10-23-2020, 09:06 AM