• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

This ain't a scene, it's a god damn arms race // Eyas
    That was his problem, wasn't it. He didn't know what was good for him. He would push and prod at the thing bothering him until he knew exactly what he was dealing with. Often, that came at the price of something painful, but it was usually worth the satisfied curiosity. 

The indignant fury quaking beneath her surface brightened the twisted smile on his face. It was wrong of him to be so entertained by her wrath, especially knowing what he knew. He couldn't help it though. She was actually pretty damn cute when she was mad, all ruffled feathers and stomping feet. Brave little pheasant. She was wily and had a formidable mind, but her bones cracked and her blood spilt like any other's. His first instinct had been to keep her safe, and it seemed that was where they'd ended up after all. 

His tongue clicked against his teeth briefly as she som spoke, smile fading into a merely pleasant expression. "That remains to be seen." He watched her deliberate motion, the way she distanced herself so carefully. The step he took to close the distance was just as deliberate. "You did, though, didn't you. That first day we met." His brow lifted at the memory. "You were speaking in riddles then, but this is what you meant, isn't it?" The edge of one leathery wing brushed the feathers of hers, one claw snagging at the loose feathers at one joint. His voice dropped to a smoky rumble as he brought back that day, looking for confirmation in her glancing eyes. 

At her snipping retort, his lolling grin returned, mismatched eyes sparkling with glee. "That's right! Imagine the old bastard still having that kind of fire in him." He chuckled, leaping to the side with a coltish buck. The white-blond tangles of his tail whipped out behind him as he prowled in a little circle before her. Daddy issues, alright. His heavy head shook with amused incredulity. He'd have to look up the old firelung again  one of these days. 

The pacing came to an abrupt halt when she spoke again. He had to pause to verify he'd heard her right. She was right beneath him now, pert nose in the air and wings flared in excitement. The dragon-stallion's own wariness unexpectedly kicked in. His expression was a soft one, a serious one. "I appreciate the offer, but no. I don't think I would get much sleep, and you'll want me well rested, I'm sure." His neck turned to cast his sight out to the glittering seas, wings folded tight to his sides. No, he didn't think he'd be able to sleep at all, not with the mind-bending mare so near. "I'll meet you at the Loessian border, bright and early. By the old lightning struck tree. You know the place?" He waited for her answer with uncharacteristic sobriety. 

@[Eyas]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: This ain't a scene, it's a god damn arms race // Eyas - by Santana - 05-17-2020, 05:19 PM