• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  trying to cope and burn just right, lilliana
    “I know when you go
    down all your darkest roads
    I would have followed all the way
    to the graveyard.”
    “Immortality is a strange thing,” she says in response, thinking back on all the ways it has saved and failed her. “I don’t think it’s a good idea to ever think that you are untouchable; to assume that immortality can save you. There’s always something or someone out there that can kill you.” Her daughter, herself, and Carnage – all the ways that she has died, and so many reasons that she should have stayed dead. She did not think it was immortality itself that saves her. There is something stronger, some unbreakable tie that keeps her tethered to the living, that brings her back even when her immortality fails.

“I’m not sure why death has not always kept me,” she answers the mare’s question with a thoughtful frown that crosses her face. “There was one time I was dead for a long time. Several years. Then Beqanna changed; it was ravaged by storms and disasters, and I remember waking up on the beach. But I couldn’t tell you why.” She could only assume it was a sudden surge in the land’s magic that had pushed her onto the shores. She shakes her head, a light laugh breaking against the shadows of the trees. “It’s not like I make a huge difference here, whether I’m dead or alive.”

She does not tell her about Carnage. She does not delve into the details of how he has killed her, brought her back, or almost failed to bring her back. She does not know why but she prefers to keep everything about him sealed inside of her chest, deciding that to try and explain them in a way that someone else could understand would be useless.

Her gaze is cast skyward, searching for the dim light that lay beyond the tops of the trees. She looks back to Lilliana, offering her another smile. “I came to Taiga looking for someone, actually, and I think I need to find him before I change my mind.” She steps forward, and touches her nose to her friend’s shoulder. “Take care, Lilliana. I’m sure that we will meet again soon.”
    ryatah

Messages In This Thread
    RE: trying to cope and burn just right, lilliana - by Ryatah - 08-23-2020, 06:48 PM