• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  slipped the surly bonds of earth
    and underneath the layers, I find myself asking what's left
    a hollowed out form, the skeleton of a ghost, the pitiful echo of what once was
    Dad.
    It’s okay, dad.

The words grip Castile, choking him with emotion for the first few seconds. His head lowers to hide how much the sentimentality affects him. For over fifteen years, he has been a father and yet he doesn’t tire of the term. Many of his children have matured and wandered off to begin their own lives. Some have pitted themselves against him, straying from their parents and taking a piece of Castile’s own heart. So, to hear Alcinder call him dad offsets the guarded façade the dragon often exhibits. A smile lifts the corners of his mouth and his heart melts the instant his son presses to his cheek. ”I can’t help to feel as though I’ve failed you thus far,” maybe he should be used to it by now because when has he been a strong father to anyone? Yet there remains an underlying ache because he Wants to be a perfect dad, but somehow always falls short.

But when he is absent, at least there is someone to jump in and help. In Alcinder’s case, it is Lepis.

The warmth of Castile’s face falters a split second. There is no denying that he still cares for his niece, but there’s a rising tension that plucks the familial strings between them. ”Good, good. It’s only right that a prince learns such things,” because his son – all his children – are (no, were) princes and princesses. ”Hopefully, she didn’t bore you to death with everything. Politics have some monotonous moments,” he chuckles because children want only so much to do with interkingdom affairs. Nayl often dragged her son along to meetings, but it wasn’t until a little later in life that Castile developed interest. What boys want are adventures and exploration. Unfortunately, due to the rising number of enemies, Nayl often locked Castile into the caves, unwilling to allow him straying into the arms of an aggressor. She didn’t want her own son to be used against her.

”You don’t have to ask twice,” the eagerness in Castile’s voice vividly splashes across his face, his eyes glimmering at the idea of spending time together, to make up for what they’ve lost. ”I wouldn’t have been mad,” he confesses, furrowing his brow just barely at Alcinder’s reluctance, ”and I wouldn’t tell your mother.” His voice lowers to a murmur, his face mischievous before exuberance explodes from him as though he is a colt again. Reaching forward, Castile nips his son gently before pivoting and taking off. Within seconds, his draconic wings unfurl and he playfully takes to the skies.

castile

@[Alcinder]

Messages In This Thread
    slipped the surly bonds of earth - by Alcinder - 03-31-2020, 01:30 PM
    RE: slipped the surly bonds of earth - by Castile - 04-04-2020, 09:05 PM
    RE: slipped the surly bonds of earth - by Castile - 04-11-2020, 01:21 PM
    RE: slipped the surly bonds of earth - by Castile - 04-21-2020, 03:50 PM
    RE: slipped the surly bonds of earth - by Castile - 04-30-2020, 03:14 PM