• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  Rain grey towns; Gale
    If there had been verbal lessons in how to use thire gift, he’d forgotten them. There hadn’t been, of course, the two of them had discovered things together, sharing and laughing and playing with the other’s sight as often as they did the rest of their families. Blue is quite sure that the walking cactus with a peacock’s head that he remembers chasing them down had been a trick of this sister in front of him, and as he feels the soft brush of her magic against him (like the sensation of his own eyes opening and closing, soft as her eyelashes) he is sure of it. A mess, she summarizes his traumatic experience with their mother, and it startles a laugh out of him. “A mess, he repeats, and marvels that the encounter he has so recently wept over can so easily turn to laughter. It is her reassurance that does that, Blue knows, because while he doesn’t know the name of this girl-now-woman in front of him, he is as sure she will not lie to him as he is sure he has wings.

Gale. That is his name. It fits that shape his family’s mouths had made, that word he couldn’t quite puzzle out. He repeats it a few times to himself, first quietly and then once aloud.

“Gale. I had been going by Blue.”

Start with the beginning, she suggests, and so he does.

“Near the Field,” he amends, “in the Common Lands, by the river. I think I was awake before that, but it’s…hazy?” Spring rains had sunk into the red soil of his grave, and the roots of the flowers Noah had planted there grew ever deeper. They’d touched him, long and grasping, just a little bit at a time. Not enough at first, and yet by the time he’d risen the boy had to shake them off. A true grave would have nourished the flowers for years; instead he’d left the place a muddy crater. He remembers climbing, struggling, staggering, but none of the memories are truly clear until he’d woken up by the river.

“I didn’t feel lost, then, not really. Just…confused?” He hadn’t known there was anything to miss, any place he belonged to even be lost from. There was simply a fog, too dense to penetrate, and he did not (at least then) feel any need to try. “There was a blue mare in the Field, and she looked lost too. But she wasn’t, not in the way I was. Her name was Oceane. And two stallions, one of whom said this place had peace and quiet. That sounded better than the adventure that Oceane wanted, so she followed him – Castle? – and I came here with Ruinam.” So concludes his tale of coming to Island Resort, and that might have been the end of his tale entirely had visions not eventually begun to emerge from that presumably impenetrable fog.

“My first memory was you,” he tells her, “Trying to catch you in the sky, but just when I did you were gone, and I looked down and you were on the ground by…” He trails off, having at first grown brighter at the memory, and now somber at the realization that he cannot name the brother who she’d stood beside while laughing at him in the sky. “By a brother.” A brother, he says, because he knows he has two of them. Two sisters, too, but Eyas (he still likes Laughing Sister, and will struggle with her given name for some time) had been his favorite. She was his playmate, his friend, his other half. There were no emotions that came with his memories, but he knew.

“I missed you,” he tells her, his voice soft. “I wasn’t really sure you were real or alive but I missed you.” his eyes glitter like hers now, unshed tears adding depth to his too-blue eyes, and he takes just the very slightest step forward. “Could I have a hug?”

@[Eyas]

Messages In This Thread
    Rain grey towns; Gale - by Eyas - 01-22-2020, 09:32 PM
    RE: Rain grey towns; Gale - by Gale - 01-24-2020, 07:49 AM
    RE: Rain grey towns; Gale - by Eyas - 02-02-2020, 05:54 PM
    RE: Rain grey towns; Gale - by Gale - 02-02-2020, 07:05 PM
    RE: Rain grey towns; Gale - by Eyas - 02-06-2020, 08:52 PM
    RE: Rain grey towns; Gale - by Gale - 02-06-2020, 09:55 PM
    RE: Rain grey towns; Gale - by Eyas - 02-06-2020, 11:01 PM
    RE: Rain grey towns; Gale - by Gale - 02-11-2020, 08:27 AM
    RE: Rain grey towns; Gale - by Eyas - 02-19-2020, 03:14 PM
    RE: Rain grey towns; Gale - by Gale - 03-04-2020, 08:36 AM