• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  i feel a bad moon rising | neverwhere
    again you’re gone, off on a different path than mine
    i'm left behind wondering if i should follow

The dun mare’s stormy grey eyes remain open, flicking freely across the other’s face. Attuned even to subtle changes, the diplomat’s trained eye easily catches the shifting emotions on the other mare’s face. Neverwhere absolutely knows her former husband. She does not think well of him either. Lepis takes a long inhale, pauses for a moment, and hears the other out. Lepis holds her ground, even when the rheumy-eyed woman presses closer. The golden wings at her side stiffen but do not flare. Taking flight is an easy option, but it is windy up on the cliffs and Lepis not an infallible storm-flyer.

The new queen of Nerine appears to make no secret of her feelings, and Lepis gives no indication she might suspect otherwise. Wolfbane has done something to deserve a rather visceral reaction from this mare, and Lepis cannot begin to imagine what it is. She’d rather not know, truth be told. Some things are better left unsaid, at least for now. Later, there will be a reckoning, but today her only goal is finding him. Or at least, it would be if Lepis had any idea where the yellow stallion might be. 

Neverwhere has less than nothing to offer Lepis in her quest. She can’t even direct the little dun to the one someone who could. Wolfbane’s probably killed her, Lepis decides, or trapped her somewhere she can’t escape. There is no sympathy in Lepis’ hard eyes when she meets Neverwhere’s pale blue. The queen of the North is gone and Lepis offers neither condolences nor congratulations to her successor. Useless, she thinks, this trip has been useless. Lepis looks up at the gray sky. It is deceptively uniform in color, seemingly without clouds. In truth, the cloud cover is so thick and dark it makes the mid-afternoon look far more like dusk. Or maybe dawn?

She draws in another breath, but just before she launches herself into the sky, suddenly pins Neverwhere with an unexpected firmness. Having recently been reminded that even her questions have a way of coming off as commands, the dun mare takes another moment, her hooves shuffling back to another position. “Please.” Lepis says, keeping back the emotions that color her own mind, no dangling tendrils in the air around her to catch another unawares. “Please, if you hear from him would you get word to me in Loess.” Something softens in her eyes (from grey diamond to dark iron), as though she might say something more, but it quickly fades. The wind roars around the windbreak that Neverwhere has found, and Lepis glances up worriedly at the blustery winter sky.

LEPIS
    i’m the one who sees you home--
    but now i’m lost in the woods

and i don’t know what path you are on

@[Neverwhere]

Messages In This Thread
    i feel a bad moon rising | neverwhere - by Lepis - 01-11-2020, 09:11 PM
    RE: i feel a bad moon rising | neverwhere - by Lepis - 01-16-2020, 08:51 PM