• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Neverwhere;
    She might do without the difficulties, but her life, like his, would not be what it is without them. She would not be who she is. She has crossed many miles with eyes like milk and skin that burns in the sun, and she has survived those miles where many others would not. This was not a complication that she had intended to take up, yet here they are, and as he ponders over the unwelcome nature of her rise in status she lets her head fall quizzically to one side.

"A bit rude-- I suppose you never met Heartfire?" There is something to the quirk of her lips that implies this is not a serious question. Castile has led Loess long enough that their paths must have crossed, for better or worse Probably worse, if she knows Heartfire the way she thinks she does, almost definitely worse. If she could ask the mare - and actually get an answer - then perhaps she would have a better understanding, but there was no time, no way to explain all the reasons in pictures. The frustration of it burns, but Neverwhere does not linger. Move on, move forward.

"I would not say there were no other options, she has relations that live here still, " she shrugs. It was true that there had been other choices, but there were not many, and those either too resistant or too absent to rely on, "but Heartfire loves a joke."

She wonders if he will agree with her, but it does not matter because she is confident in her perception of their friendship - and it had been one, once you cut through all the sarcasm. Their humors had lined up in an odd, abrasive way, like two glaciers crashing into one another in the sea. Their entire relationship had been a joke, but it was the roan who had gotten the last jab in. To some extent, Neverwhere supposes it is a strange respect for that which made her pick up the empty crown. She lifts her head beneath the weight of it, matching his odd-eyed gazed.

"I don't much see the point of kingdoms and boundaries," She was not raised in a world with controlled and maintained boundaries, the herds drifted, apart, together, apart again. The land had no name, it was wild as the horses that lived there, and would not be claimed. It was only when she arrived in Beqanna that she discovered others lived differently, and she struggles fruitlessly against the idea like a wild bird caught in a cage, bruised by the bars.

Neverwhere brushes his mispronunciation of her name aside with a snort and nods as he admits to missing Nerine because the land has hooked itself under her skin, as well, "I am not," but she is already turning, stepping forward to take up the path ahead of him, "but I am sure things have changed little enough that you can share your thoughts on the hoof."

Neverwhere

@[Castile]

Messages In This Thread
    Neverwhere; - by Castile - 01-08-2020, 09:32 PM
    RE: Neverwhere; - by Neverwhere - 01-09-2020, 11:09 AM
    RE: Neverwhere; - by Castile - 01-13-2020, 04:09 PM
    RE: Neverwhere; - by Neverwhere - 01-16-2020, 06:30 PM
    RE: Neverwhere; - by Castile - 01-17-2020, 10:18 AM
    RE: Neverwhere; - by Neverwhere - 01-26-2020, 05:24 PM
    RE: Neverwhere; - by Castile - 01-31-2020, 09:57 AM
    RE: Neverwhere; - by Neverwhere - 02-13-2020, 09:46 PM