• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

All things want to open.
    Her ignorance regarding the exact nature of Heartfire's touch on her sight bothers her less than the acrobatics she must go through to avoid being told about it, in part because if she were to understand the depth of it, she might be forced to do something. Maybe. If she truly understood it, there's an equal chance she might consider it a problem for others. Best to just continue ignoring, pretending, it seems to serve them both just as well. It may not be a shining moment, but the bald-faced mare has never tried to be, or present herself as, a beacon of moral character, so when Heartfire skims past the subject, it is met with a moment of unrecognized relief. Only a moment, though, she is back to petulant in an instant, grumbling under her breath like a child when Heartfire presses her grandson's case. 

"I don't presently have a use for poisoned water, though I am sure there are those that do."

She remembers the words designed to manipulate, laid on thick with the ease of a practiced story-teller. And she remembers how distinctly she had mistrusted him and the sweet oil slick of his voice, instantly, instinctively, infuriatingly. There hadn't been a clear reason for it that she could explain, now, it would make no sense here atop the open sea cliffs with the wind whipping wild around them, but in that claustrophobic forest it had been different and she had wanted nothing more than to make Lilliana understand.

She had failed that, of course.

"Lilliana doesn't need a formal invite, she owes me a visit, now. Anyway, I think she may see it that way. And as for your grandson, I wouldn't hazard a guess on his plans, but I'm sure I'll hate them."

There is something almost resembling regret that flickers over her face, a softer touch to the scowl on her lips, so brief that it could almost be missed. She had handled it incorrectly, that day in Taiga. Not her response to Wolfbane, but the words she exchanged with Lilli. There is a reason that nearly a year has passed since the two spoke last, but Neverwhere knows - in a way only possible to someone who refuses to admit when they are wrong - that she had still been right. All is not well in Taiga, beyond the overblown egos of Heartfire and Lepis, something which has become increasingly obvious with every trip she must make through the territory on her way to other lands. She dispels that unrest with a snort and focuses again, scowl twisting into a sly smirk.

"Tell me, Heartfire, has anyone ever liked you at first?"

Neverwhere

Messages In This Thread
    All things want to open. - by Neverwhere - 10-09-2019, 10:26 AM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by Heartfire - 10-17-2019, 02:22 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by Heartfire - 10-22-2019, 11:59 AM
    RE: All things want to open. - by Heartfire - 11-08-2019, 05:56 PM
    RE: All things want to open. - by Neverwhere - 11-17-2019, 12:51 AM
    RE: All things want to open. - by Heartfire - 11-19-2019, 12:17 PM
    RE: All things want to open. - by Neverwhere - 11-22-2019, 12:13 AM