• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[mature]  i feel a bad moon rising | heartfire

She's got the devil's eyes

This was not a conversation she had intended to have. There was no way to say the things she believed without entirely offending the golden mare before her. And while she did not have any particular care as to whether or not Lepis was offended, she would rather things fall according to her schedule. Still, she has nearly everything in place already. And, well, Lepis had asked, hadn’t she?

“You claim to wish peace, and yet your every action declares otherwise,” she observes with surprising mildness, though her glittering gaze belies the gentleness of her words. “And here I thought I was the one who was terrible with diplomacy.” The last is uttered with such smooth candor that it could almost take one a moment to recognize the insult housed within it.

Her eyes do not stray from Lepis as she repeats her question, a dog with a bone as she tries to cause Heartfire to stumble. Her lips tilt faintly, a sardonically amused smile that speaks volumes as to her opinion on Lepis’ persistence.

She had tried to be kind by saying nothing. Or at least, as kind as she could be.

“Why Nerine and not Taiga?” she says slowly, the dangerous lilt of her voice offering Lepis her last opportunity to retract the question. Of course, it’s already too late. “Because you are an infant who understands too little of the world and possesses far more confidence and arrogance than is deserved. You claim your recent activity a good indicator of Taiga’s ability, but Taiga has developed no reputation, and has nothing upon which to stand beyond your dubious claim of an ally in Loess. Castile was right when he suggested you should give me no options. You should have listened to him. If you were cleverer, you would have.” There is a chilly satisfaction in the gleam of her eye as she presses closer, voice dropping as though imparting a great secret. “And do you know why? Because Castile grew up around me, and he knows, no matter how quiet Nerine might appear, we are not weak. Surprise was your only advantage, and you gave it up.”

The last is said with such contempt, it’s clear how much intelligence Heartfire believes the woman before her has. Stepping abruptly back, her features still once more, the familiar mask settling into place as she considers Lepis with passionate disregard.

“So let me give you a choice then, like the one you gave me,” she continues, a sense of finality in her words. “Give up Taiga, or I will destroy you.” One could almost believe that ultimatum an empty threat if one did not know Heartfire.

and they'll cut you like a weapon

Heartfire

Messages In This Thread
    i feel a bad moon rising | heartfire - by Lepis - 08-28-2019, 10:24 PM
    RE: i feel a bad moon rising | heartfire - by Heartfire - 09-17-2019, 10:13 AM