• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  show me where my armor ends; castile
    and underneath the layers, I find myself asking what's left
    a hollowed out form, the skeleton of a ghost, the pitiful echo of what once was
    ”I figured,” he flatly states with a slight upturn of his mouth, always admiring his niece’s brash and forward nature. Although she isn’t nearly so iron-fisted as his mother, the similarities are near enough. Lepis is still a formidable force. With Taiga now resting in her palm, Castile assumes that she will climb the ladder to continue achieving greatness. Ever ambitious, ever proud. That’s the reason why he lacks surprise when she slips into Taiga’s welfare. ”I expected no less,” she has the ability to berth life into deadened land. It’s a gift of hers.

A brow lifts, intrigued by her news, but his curiosity is piqued when she mentions Heartfire. Refraining from speaking out of turn, Castile merely nods his head and continues to listen, noting the slight uncertainty in Lepis’ tone of voice. It would’ve been too easy if Heartfire agreed, of course, so although her reciprocation was expected, it still throws a wrench into everyone’s plans.

”A shame,” he finally murmurs with a contemplative tilt of his head. Far north lies the kingdom from where he was born. It still holds a piece of his heart – it forever will – but he realizes how impossible it seems to enjoy a visit to the familiar black shoreline. ”I always considered her an aunt. I’ve known her since childhood since she was in Nerine during mother’s reign,” he more or less thinks aloud, pulling Lepis into the depths of his memories. ”Heartfire actually visited Loess a while ago. She wanted information from me and wanted to know my plans. I told her that unless she was here to forge an alliance, I would tell her nothing,” a shrug ripples through his muscular shoulders, ”An agreement was never made.” The woman wants to understand the world so that she may capture the knowledge and hold power above them all, but he refused to indulge her just as Lepis now has.

But where does that place them in this great game?

A thoughtful breath sighs from Castile’s lungs as his eyes search those of Lepis. ”I feel as though Loess, Taiga, Pangea, and our other political ties can provide greater protection than Nerine. Perhaps, we need to continue extending our influence. Icicle Island, although quiet, would still pose an advantage if they side with us. That will leave Nerine surrounded by enemies. Tephra, on the other hand, has two islands. The Resort is quiet and I’ve not heard much from Ischia.” Piecing everything together aloud cements it further into memory, helping him to realize the great lengths that Loess’ friendships have extended. It isn’t even about power or subkingdoms. The fact of it all is friendship – that’s the glue binding all these lands.

”We’re going to have to give Heartfire no other option, I suppose.” Castile’s eyes gleam and crackle like the fire in his soul.

castile

@[Lepis]

Messages In This Thread
    show me where my armor ends; castile - by Lepis - 08-21-2019, 10:14 PM
    RE: show me where my armor ends; castile - by Castile - 08-28-2019, 08:52 AM