• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  I would clearly feel blessed, if the sun rose up from the west
    We got older and I should have known
    that I’d feel colder when I walk alone
    He does it all on purpose - the quick jabs, the sassy responses, the looks that say just about the same thing. Strolling leisurely past the border is exactly what he wants to do; all of this gives him a quick insight in the ones who approach him, intercept him, and if their purpose is honest or hidden.

This is Leilan’s assessment of the current situation. Lepis is one of those who hides stuff. Everything she does, she fears others knowing about it, about her, about her land. She keeps secrets, for reasons the roan can’t fathom. Of course, knowledge is power, but if on the (counting this one) two occasions that the roan and the dun had met, she hadn’t been acting overly suspicious, Leilan would have been none the wiser. Instead, she brings it upon herself that he gives her these curious looks, that he wants to draw her out. Her actual secrets though, couldn’t interest him one bit. Couldn’t use them anyway, since nobody ever believes him.

Castile appears the opposite, much more like Leilan himself. Brutally honest if need be, and no shying away from anything. That’s why the two - three, counting Wolfbane who gives off a similar air - get along so well. Or they used to, at any rate.

Thinking back, he strolled into the neighbouring kingdom with the purpose of getting to know who lives here and what they’re like. The answer is simple now; Castile is leading it, and for the scaled stallion, that seems quite alright and no more answer is needed. Lepis being in Taiga with Wolfbane is much more curious, as that means that Lepis has to deal with Heartfire now. (Kensa told him his niece still lives there.) Somehow Leilan wonders if they will ever get along; Heartfire doesn’t like it when someone tries to hide anything, especially knowledge. She will find out over time, he is certain - Heartfire always finds out what is being hidden.

Which means his trip’s purpose here is already fulfilled, the answer is enough, and the male focuses on exchanging pleasantries with the dragon. A nod follows the tobiano’s remark about dragon shifters; true, Leilan is one of those mimickers, and even before he left he’d noticed the rise of dragonblood and -traits all around. His own had come to him later in life, but those born with it - Castile’s offspring as well as his own - sometimes seemed to just take it all for granted. But that’s something else entirely, and not something the roan wants to dive into now. Or ever, truly.

”You know me,” he grins, noting just the fact that he had never bothered much with any border, and thus it’s not because he chose Loess in particular to cross into, just to offend them - if he had wanted to offend them, there were many other ways to do so. Besides, he hadn’t hid the fact that he was there at all, and took a slow pace. Easy to intercept. Meant to be intercepted. Couldn’t have laid it on any thicker, except calling out, but that would have echoed from the mountainside he was, is still, on, and he had figured it wasn’t needed. Turns out that this is something Lepis hates him for. If she wants to be that petty, she can stick it somewhere - he doesn’t want to be involved.

Castile continues; his voice seems to edge with a tiny amount of regret when he says it’s been some time, but the frosted horse brushes it away. ”Don’t worry about it. I daresay we both had our heads filled with family matters.” Didn’t he tell the dragon to go and find his family? Not that Leilan had actually meant ‘go and stay away’ but, if that was the firebreather’s choice, then the ice-attuned male wouldn’t be bothered. There had been bigger fish to fry at the time.

Lepis has a way of bringing the conversation back to politics, even if Castile doesn’t go free of this either, and this earns her a very neutral look in comparison to the friendly (though falling) one he’d previously exchanged with Castile. Seems like there’s no other way than to actually say it to her face. ”I hate to break it to you Lepis, but I’ve exactly zero interest in your or anyone’s political ties.” So, he changes the subject. ”I guess congratulations on the little one are in order. I hope they’re in good health, but I see you’re not worried so I’ll assume that it is so.”

Meaning, if she doesn’t want to talk about her secret agenda for Taiga, she shouldn’t bring it up. Meaning, if she has nothing friendly to say to him, perhaps she shouldn’t involve herself with him. Meaning, perhaps this conversation is as good as over, since the subject has been nothing but annoying politics, and still no update on anything else much. Well, he now knows that Wolfbane is with Lepis - and they have children and live in Taiga. Why this is so, Leilan doesn’t think he’ll ever understand, so he doesn’t bother to ask.

He replaces his neutral look, setting it on Castile. ”I think it’s my turn to go and look for my family.” A small smile follows, seeing the irony - he’d been Castile’s leader then, now Castile ranks above him. But that’s life. And Leilan doesn’t need Castile’s permission to go roam the lands; he’s not his subject. Although Taiga might now be a no-go zone, pending Lepis’ reaction to the most honest statement he ever made to her.
    Leilan
    no. 7 | ice forged in fire
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I would clearly feel blessed, if the sun rose up from the west - by Leilan - 08-16-2019, 04:23 AM