• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

red sun rises like an early warning; any

I can remember a time when I was so afraid
    when even my shadow wouldn't follow me

She remembers. It had happened overnight, the change in her. Or at the very least, it had happened when she had been sleeping. For the first time in so long, she had not plagued by the nightmares that so often haunted her. She had not even dreamed either, of her parents, of Aerwir. Instead, it had been empty, and her head had been filled with silence and blankness. And when she woke up, she felt different. Stronger. Determined. For the first time her head had been clear. She knew where she wanted, where she needed to go. It was then, as she prepared her goodbyes that she realized what had changed in her. She had finally grown up. It was like a seed that had finally sprouted – she was ready now. Gone was the fear, gone was the heartbroken child. The pain, and the fear had been locked away inside her heart. She would not be scared any more, she would not whimper when she thought no one was listening, or cry when she thought it was all too unbearable. No longer.

For once, she does not seek the river to drown out her thoughts, instead she goes there because it was the place she found most familiar in this strange land. Her thoughts felt, oddly numbing at the moment. She had considered Kensa and Hyaline. It would be a good fit, if Elaina was going to stay. She had nearly given up hope of finding Lilli, the best she could do now was return to Windskeep and hope that Lilli went to back to Beyond and found her way to the ancient valley. But, seeing the crimson girl before her golden coat would start to litter with spares of grey hair seemed like a far fetched dream.

She is not alone when she arrives. Amber eyes can see that the moment she gets close, the way that silver coat glints in the sun like a shiny new dime. Her eyes had naturally fallen to that mare at first, but a quick glance allows Elaina to realize that there was another. Perhaps they were friends, but the body language those amber eyes read tells her other wise, acquaintances at best. Steadily those footfalls bring the girl colored like spring sunflowers closer to the waters edge where the two now stand. “Sorry,” she says apologetically. “I didn't expect anyone else to be down by the river today,” she says almost sheepishly, keeping her distance but unable to resist her own curiosity. She was beginning to realize her utter plain exterior she had to offer in this strange land was considered odd. How interesting, when to be born ordinary is anything but. “I hope my intrusion isn't too disruptive,” she says, amber eyes flickering between each of them in turn. “This land is full of surprises I am finding.”

elaina*
    benjamin and beylani's sunflower-girl

@[Brinly]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: red sun rises like an early warning; any - by Elaina - 07-19-2019, 11:39 PM