• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  seafoam in my veins; any

the Ocean has its silent caves, deep, quiet, and alone;
    though there be fury on the waves, beneath them there is none.

She tolerates him – barely. There is certainly not any large amount of affection, or coddling; occasionally there are flashes of something in her that he yearns for more of, but it never lasts long. Thankfully, he’s pretty self-sufficient. Kellyn keeps him fed and sheltered, teaching him some basic control of the powers they share, but half the time she’s talking to people he can’t see, and half the time she’s pretending not to be a mother. The rare moments when she talks about his family or cuddles him close are usually moonlit evenings, both of them drowsy, and him half convinced he can see the ghosts too.

In the end, she brings him back to Ischia. Her eyes are already on the next thing, and he knows she won’t stay. After all, there’s someone else here – his father, she’d said, and his aunt and a niece or nephew who is also a half-sibling – and she doesn’t want to see them. And she leaves him on the sand by himself, facing a narrow strip of peninsula that is the land-dweller’s path to his father’s islands. Kellyn expects him to take it, but even after she disappears back the way they came he stands alone, staring. By the time he’s made up his mind, firmed up his resolve, the water has closed over the path once more.

That’s ok, he prefers the underwater path anyway. And he’s never been at risk of drowning. He welcomes the feel of water closing over his scales as he walks across the ocean, mind absently on other things. Pondering what it would be like to never emerge from the water again, as he snatches absently at a passing fish with his razor-sharp teeth. Pondering if he might see more than fleeting familial recognition or affection from his family in the island chains. Pondering if he’ll ever see the little pink mare who birthed him again in this timeline, or only in wanderings through the past and his dreams.

Casimir

@[Ivar] @[Carwyn] @[Aeghir] @[Twyll] or anyone Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
    seafoam in my veins; any - by Casimir - 04-14-2019, 10:27 PM
    RE: seafoam in my veins; any - by Carwyn - 04-16-2019, 09:17 PM
    RE: seafoam in my veins; any - by Aeghir - 04-23-2019, 01:23 PM
    RE: seafoam in my veins; any - by Casimir - 04-24-2019, 09:58 PM
    RE: seafoam in my veins; any - by Carwyn - 04-30-2019, 12:02 PM
    RE: seafoam in my veins; any - by Casimir - 05-11-2019, 03:12 PM
    RE: seafoam in my veins; any - by Carwyn - 05-30-2019, 09:30 PM