• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

when the truth hunts you down; Castile, any

She's got the devil's eyes

“Not as much as you want it to, I think,” she murmurs softly in response to his somewhat idle line of questioning. Her lips twitch faintly in amusement as she considers him quite openly. Truthfully, she is rarely surprised. And Castile, for all that he had been a quiet boy, had not surprised her in his ambition. She had known his mother well after all, once upon a time. And it could never be a surprise that a son of Nayl should lead the path he had.

She’s not entirely certain if he is aware, but she has had him in her sights for some time now. Of course, anyone who knew anything of her would likely find that unsurprising. Still, it’s not entirely common knowledge that the greater portion of her family resides on the island he had so recently attempted claim as his own. Indeed, her own children had been there during that tumultuous time. She is well aware of what had happened, but she chooses to say nothing of it (though it is what had inspired her to bring her young twins home, where she could more easily protect them). It is history now, after all, and that is where she hopes it will stay.

She listens curiously to his brief tale, lacking more than the most basic points of his succession to the throne, neatly side-stepping the question she had laid before him. Of course, she is quite capable of seeing the details he chose to omit, knows far more of his rise here than he had yet admitted. Still, she is not a mind reader, and the inspiration behind such actions has often been a mystery to her. And if there is anything she does not care for, it is mysteries.

She remains silent however, allowing him to bring the subject around to Nerine. To the activities that had brought them together to defend the northernmost isle those few short years ago. It had been something of a trying time for her, though she hardly expected him to be aware of such a thing. She had always been a very private woman.

“I am,” she agrees easily, for simplicity's sake. Truthfully she’d never left Nerine. Her intent had always been to secure that safeland for Nerine, and when that had been accomplished, she had been glad enough to leave it in her uncle’s capable (if somewhat brash) hands. Or hooves, as the case may be. “He is hardly alone there, but he does lead it, yes.”

She peers at him curiously then for a moment, her eyes sharp and unreadable as she scrutinizes him. After a heartbeat of silence, she draws a breath and continues. “You may not be aware, but Breckin has stepped down and I have taken her place. I am here because I felt it is important we… assess our relationship.”

and they'll cut you like a weapon

Heartfire

Messages In This Thread
    RE: when the truth hunts you down; Castile, any - by Heartfire - 03-28-2019, 03:04 PM