• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Sleep baby sleep, what are you waiting for?
    I'm being petulant. I can feel it, and it's irrational but still I can't seem to stop. I want to be angry at the world. I want to be angry at Klaudius and at everything that let this happen. I want to be strong enough to handle these things and I'm terrified that I'm not. More than anything, I'm angry at myself for being so weak. This is no way to die. It's not... like sunrise breaking over the mountains, it dawns on me. This isn't how I want to go. 

When I die, it will be on my own terms. Not because some jackass stallion is having a bad day and decides to take it out on the closest living thing. My eyes linger on the body before me, lifting when a motion catches my sight. There she is, the disembodied voice that has been coaxing me down to this point. She's familiar to me, a unique pattern of browns and blacks and whites that undulate slightly in this ethereal plane. It's strange seeing anyone here, let alone her. 

How long has she been watching me try to drown myself in self pity? I meet her gaze for a moment, trying to assess something deep within, before dropping my line of vision back to the crystalline form between us. I could be made of some precious stone, faceted and almost glowing from within. How much of it is real and how much is vision I can't tell, but I don't mind looking either way. 

"I'd make a hell of a poltergeist, you know. He wouldn't have another moment of peace between now and his own grave. Doesn't deserve any less." I'm speaking to myself as much to the liquid form of the antlered woman. The blandness has returned to my voice, no more inflected than if it were the weather we were discussing. My crystal gaze flicks back up to meet hers. Stoicism is not my native state, but it's all I can muster at the moment. "I'll go back, if only to see what's happened since I fell. We will come back to this, you and I. Some day."

I am no prophetess. Still, the words felt true enough in the moment. This conversation would resume at a later date, perhaps many years down the road. Maybe then I would know if it was gratitude or disdain I felt now. I wait a moment longer before bowing my head in it's graceful arc, placing a delicate kiss to the brow of my doppelganger. The threads of light between us grew in an instant, until the darkness filled with them entirely. All else was blocked out. 

Until it wasn't. 

Somewhere between the earth and an eternal twilit sky, my eyes flicker open. Air that has recently only trickled in and out of damaged lungs now courses in a steady stream, shifting ribs that protest the need for motion. The internal damage has all but healed over the weeks (months?) that I've been inert. By the splintering shock of pain in my wing, however, it would seem that the priority has been keeping me alive. There had been no extra energy to spare to repair the torn muscles and tendons that gift me flight. 

What had started as an irritating numbness in my extremities soon rises to the forefront of my awareness as a burning, prickling sensation overcomes every inch of me. My circulatory system has kicked back on with a vengeance, and it's all I can do to lie there gasping and trembling as the fire burns away the cold I've been existing under. Oh gods, I'm going to kick Kagerus' ass when this wears off.

@[Kagerus] @[Castile]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Sleep baby sleep, what are you waiting for? - by Sabra - 10-25-2018, 07:22 PM