• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

runnin' away to the riptide;
    lady, runnin' away to the riptide
    taken away to the dark side

If she were new to Beqanna, this mare might frighten her. It is a testament to the weirdness that Beqannians learn to put up with over the course of their lives that after a while, nothing causes more than a blink of surprise anymore. This is the case when the grulla mare notices the casual approach of the other mare; she is grateful for the long moments of the mare's approach that give her a chance to take stock of the stranger, but while curious she is not frightened or repulsed. What could have caused her to become so bald and scarred? Was she once a color, or more, some sort of galaxy-color like her foster-siblings?

She offers the stranger a small smile at the greeting. "Hello, Scorch," she responds to the first, and wonders if the mare got her name before or after she was burned. Because scars that all-encompassing can only be one thing, really. So was she named Scorch because of the way she looks, or does she look that way because she is Scorch? It's a circle and she turns it over in her head and over and over and over until the mare interrupts her thoughts with new words. Now Sloene gives a tilt of her face, silver eyes firmly meeting the red-yellow of the mare. Judging, silent, careful; it is a prying question and a small part of her can't help but wonder why she would ask. To steal the child away? That's a worst case scenario but she allows herself to consider it for a long silence before slowly answering Scorch's question. "My daughter," she says quietly, "is in the playground. I'm not sure I trust everyone in the Field enough to bring my filly here."

She gives the answer because Scorch, too, smells of foal. Probably she doesn't need to steal another. The little mare shifts from one leg to another, exhaling a slow, quiet breath. "Sochi," she offers, thinking of the little dark girl, "Is why I need a home. Otherwise, I was doing well on my own." It's a little defensive but she is used to having to defend herself. No one else is going to do it. "And what does Nerine need? What is it all about? What kind of home will it be for her?" Maybe someday she will feel loyal herself, but she is afraid to commit to that. It's easier to select a place because it's good for the baby.

SLOENE
    I've got a lump in my throat
    cause you're gonna sing the words wrong

Messages In This Thread
    runnin' away to the riptide; - by Sloene - 02-06-2018, 01:47 PM
    RE: runnin' away to the riptide; - by Scorch - 02-08-2018, 05:26 PM
    RE: runnin' away to the riptide; - by Sloene - 02-09-2018, 07:16 PM
    RE: runnin' away to the riptide; - by Heda - 02-10-2018, 12:14 AM
    RE: runnin' away to the riptide; - by Scorch - 02-11-2018, 02:49 AM
    RE: runnin' away to the riptide; - by Sloene - 02-12-2018, 10:00 PM
    RE: runnin' away to the riptide; - by Heda - 02-12-2018, 10:55 PM
    RE: runnin' away to the riptide; - by Scorch - 02-13-2018, 12:14 AM