• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Make me your Aphrodite; Jason
    so you wanna play with magic?
    "The pleasure is all mine, Jason." She returns his grin with a sly one of her own, tilting her head in response to his joke. As she moves her head, her eyes shift from their deep-blue to a subtle silver-lavender. "Old doesn't really apply to us, does it?" she chuckles gently, playing back in to his joke. "I apologize for startling you. I thought you'd know I was there." She is fascinated to know that he didn't know, that he's either slipped so far from his magical center, or that the Gates has sucked him so dry (or both) that he no longer recognizes the presence of another magic-user in his midst.

Now that they are speaking here as equals, she can almost feel it, the way the mother tree pulls away at his magic, a slow and steady half-siphon, half repulsion, like two magnets. Perhaps that's it; perhaps they have opposite polarity, the tree and the magician, and it simply cannot abide any magic but its own. She turns her attention back to the stallion.

"I try to make a point of meeting magicians. Especially the old ones." she offers with another becoming smile. The sunlight shatters across her cheek where it hits the string of diamonds. The oldest were so fascinating, she's found. But she doesn't doubt the new one (does he feel it? She wonders.) will be fascinating too. It's been so long since magic has come fresh to Beqanna. Alliance contenders have gained it, but perhaps she was the last one to whom it was given, to whom the land simply decided to bestow it. The last one, save for the girl that even now is preparing to come into the world.

"We should've met earlier, really." she begins, starting to drive (obliquely) at what might be her main point in all of this. "I ought to have visited the Gates by now, but duty just hasn't allowed me the time to get away." she pauses for a moment, sighing almost wistfully, as though contemplating the burden of queenship. And while it is a burden it's a burden that electrifies her, a state to which she was born, a glory she was meant to carry. She is a queen, through and through, regardless of whether or not she has a crown on her head.

Well, a metaphorical crown on her head. In her case, her crown is writ large across her chest, the gilded crook and flail, shining and stark against its field of black.

"Tell me, how is life in the Gates?" She asks, and she wonders how he'll take her question. Will he think she asks about him, or that she asks about the kingdom? She'll take any answer, but what she's truly driving at is how much he knows about the state of his magic. Does he understand why it's slipping away? Does he understand the implications? And is he willing to stay his course when he does finally come to know the details?

Camrynn knows what she would choose were she in his shoes. Nothing is more important to her than her magic, in part because she takes the opposite view from her fascinating companion. To her, there is nothing stronger than magic. No power in the universe is greater than a magician unbridled – is not Carnage proof of that? Did he not send horses ripping through time, careening from one reality to the next, all in pursuit of a lost love? Did he not rip a chunk of the world from its shores, and establish a home for the dead, all because of Gail? No, there's no power in the world greater than magic. Love can inspire magicians to do great things, but love will never overcome the power of magic.

But love can also inspire stupid things, like bargains to have your cake and eat it too. History is littered with stories of those who traded everything for what they perceive their lover wanted – but for Jason, his lover is the light kingdom and its greedy mother tree, the girl with the ruined face, the shy boy born of two stallions, the quiet and sweet family that has ruled there for so long. What will Jason do for them, his family? Would he leave them and save himself? Or, of even more interest to her, would he seek a third solution, the kind of thing that she could provide?

Provide, of course, for a price.
    CAMRYNN
    co-queen of the deserts, magical, mother of badassery

Messages In This Thread
    Make me your Aphrodite; Jason - by Camrynn - 06-03-2015, 05:38 PM
    RE: Make me your Aphrodite; Jason - by Jason - 06-05-2015, 04:35 PM
    RE: Make me your Aphrodite; Jason - by Camrynn - 06-05-2015, 06:47 PM
    RE: Make me your Aphrodite; Jason - by Jason - 06-05-2015, 07:09 PM
    RE: Make me your Aphrodite; Jason - by Camrynn - 06-06-2015, 10:49 PM
    RE: Make me your Aphrodite; Jason - by Jason - 06-20-2015, 10:59 AM
    RE: Make me your Aphrodite; Jason - by Camrynn - 06-28-2015, 06:01 PM
    RE: Make me your Aphrodite; Jason - by Jason - 07-28-2015, 12:57 PM