• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

so reckless you might start feeling; beth

I can get there on my own. you can leave me here alone.

It almost makes him smile.
    It is enough, at least, to make the corners of his mouth jump.

He has done this one thing right. He has instilled in her some sense of rationality. He has waged a war against her panic and he has come out victorious. It deserves some level acknowledgment, he thinks, because this is the only emotion of hers that he has ever been able to defeat.

He does not smile but he does turn and kiss her head. Because he is proud of her. Proud of the way she drags in a steadying breath and takes a step away from him. There is nothing demeaning in it, nothing condescending. It is innocent, the swelling in his breast when she rationalizes it for herself.

She is strong and smart and she would not have gone far. He is certain of the first two. Their daughter is fierce like her mother, cunning even. He does not know that she would not have struck out as far as her legs would carry her simply to prove a point, though. He lends no voice to this, though, merely nods.

Would she have gone to Tephra? He shakes his head, a reflex. He cannot imagine her trying to find the place on her own. Even less realistic is the idea that she might stop and ask strangers for directions. Adna had been certain their daughter would grow out of her hatred, shed it like a second skin, but she has held onto it so fiercely that he has seen it make her tremble.

No, I don’t think so,” he mutters. “She only knows the way to the playground, so if she went anywhere it was probably in that direction.

BETHLEHEM

I'm just tryin' to do what's right. oh, a man ain't a man unless he's fought the fight.

Messages In This Thread
    RE: so reckless you might start feeling; beth - by bethlehem - 09-07-2019, 09:15 PM