• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[mature]  things we never thought we could be, adna
    Does he feel her come apart?
    Or does he simply imagine her unraveling, too?

He can hear it in her voice, though it sounds more like a sigh than anything, that one dejected thing. He feels no remorse, though maybe he should. Some stirring of guilt or sorrow that he has led her to believe he is anything other than what he is. A stoic expression and an empty cavern in his chest where his heart ought to be. 

Just as he is not built for compassion, he is not built for intimacy. He is not built for secrets exchanged in the murky half-dark before dawn. He is not built for being anything other than this someone who has forgotten how to care about anything at all. 

He drags in a shuddering breath when she speaks again. He barks out a laugh but it comes out hollow. Perhaps he’d meant for it to be warm, to provide her some comfort, to try and mend the fissure cracks in whatever this is. But, while it is neither cruel nor dismissive, it is mirthless. 

Nothing worth anyone knowing,” he corrects her. “The difference between you and me, Adna, is that I know that I’m worthless and you only think that you are.

Messages In This Thread
    RE: things we never thought we could be, adna - by bethlehem - 08-18-2019, 04:14 PM