• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

some things never change; open
    I am drawn to a particular meadow, hooves placed by memory, the paths worn and familiar. When I pause at the edge of the forest, sap and errant needles sticking to my sides, my eyes go immediately to the old tree, there by the edge of one of the Chamber’s many lakes. It still stands sentinel, just as I remember, though it’s now devoid of leaves, its bark withered and branches long dead. Dark ear drawn forward, the lighter one drawn back, I study it for a moment, nostrils wrinkled against the onslaught of memories. I can hear them coming, the current Chamber denizens, but I have some time before they find me. My skin continues to knit together, flesh and hide slowly cloaking exposed bone, but I am well-formed enough to step into an easy lope, muscles rejoicing at being whole once again. The lakeshore, and the boulder where Mother, myself, and my children once held court, is my destination and it is only a matter of strides before I am there. I run my nose along it’s surface, warmed by the afternoon sun, and breath deep of my past. The Chamber, she rumbles her pleasure at my return, for it has been since I won the Alliance and my powers that I have crossed her borders with the intent to remain …

I ignore Englesfors as she approaches, skunk-tail swishing briefly at my hocks. I can feel her sense of belonging as I flippantly shuffle through her surface, her thoughts now mine to know, should I so choose. Here, though, standing on what I consider sacred ground, I wield my magic only just enough to know the basics. For now. An unrivaled beauty, to be sure, incomparable to my Nera but noted for future … exploration. You’re different … she purrs, and one corner of my mouth tilts in amusement, yellow-gold eyes sparking with something indecipherable. I say nothing, only still as she stalks about, studying my still-healing form and finally introducing herself. “I know,” I reply simply, softening the razor edge of my tone with a knowing wink before turning to face both she and the stoic Warship, but it is not he that I immediately see. I smile faintly, staring with an odd sense of ease as a ghost emerges from the shadows. Chain? My sire, once-General of the Chamber, an unknown who fought his way from the bottom, led his soldiers through many a battle and won the attention of his Queen … I blink quickly when the glowing infinity symbol suddenly appears in my vision, the ragged, scar-marked body of my father replaced by that of Warship’s. Strange …

I only have a moment to incline my head at Warship’s greeting – his ties to the Chamber run deep as well, his father’s heart thudding quietly beneath my feet – before Gryffen’s wry laughter rings out between us. A smile – perhaps I am getting soft in my old age – splits my already divided features as I turn to face him, a low chuckle spilling from scarred lips. “Indeed.” At the red-eyed stallion’s invitation, I take another moment to survey the Chamber from where we stand, ragged barrel shaking with genuine laughter. “It will never again be like the old days, my friend, but I am sure between four of us and the rest of the Chamberlings, we can find a way to entertain ourselves. How long ago did you return?” I turn my head toward the pretty blonde, beckoning her back into the conversation . “Tell me, Engelsfors, why did Straia make you her advisor?” There is no subterfuge in my question, no mockery. I find that asking others about themselves is far more interesting than pulling answers from the folds of white and gray matter within their heads. I do not wait for her answer before addressing the General, assuming they will reply in turn. “And you, Warship, what have you accomplished that has deemed you worthy to lead this kingdom’s soldiers?”

Messages In This Thread
    some things never change; open - by Set - 08-10-2015, 01:31 AM
    RE: some things never change; open - by Warship - 08-10-2015, 12:07 PM
    RE: some things never change; open - by Gryffen - 08-10-2015, 03:41 PM
    RE: some things never change; open - by Set - 08-16-2015, 12:37 AM
    RE: some things never change; open - by Killdare - 08-16-2015, 07:59 AM
    RE: some things never change; open - by Gryffen - 08-16-2015, 01:57 PM
    RE: some things never change; open - by Warship - 08-23-2015, 09:51 PM