• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  The sun hung from a string, looking down on the world - any
    We got older and I should have known
    that I’d feel colder when I walk alone
    Hyaline is not what it used to be years ago, that is clear. The horses below are perhaps few but none of them seem like the ‘frightened prey’ type, which is unfortunately what many of those before them had been quite exactly. It is no longer a sanctuary - but no doubt all the prey horses had ran away to a safe land when the sickness spread through the lands. Now, it has been cured - and like all the lands, things need to get settled once more.

Perhaps if he knew about the war between Loess and Tephra, he would have pointed out that that was an exact example of what he meant by that. Alas, he left before it happened and only recently returned, too recently to know or - more importantly - for him to care. He’d spend a blissful time away with his wife, and then he had to spoil it all by being homesick.

Lovely.

But not so homesick that he wanted to go to Icicle Isle or even Nerine - no, that seemed like a chapter in the past. The only other really icy place is here - and to be honest, the sheltered caves and rocks may make this an even more perfect habitat for a dragon, than the former.

The mare who approaches him is pretty - so very pretty it is almost disturbing; topaz on liver chestnut splashed with white, mane a golden flaxen color to match. The near unnatural glow of attraction reminds him of a mermaid, but he refrains from recalling the girl who would have killed him had he not been made immortal just then - immortality he gave away for protection to his firstborn.

She’s been born here, he muses, but neither her nor her mother lived here by now.Briseis’ smell was long gone in the place he’d just walked through. No wonder - last time he’d seen her she had been in Nerine and fancied an Ether. A cousin of his, he believed. Well not that he was really surprised. Surely his good looks were also to be found elsewhere in the bloodline.

So, when the mare who approached him comments, he knows exactly the look in her eyes when she admires the frost-rimmed scales. And perhaps in his wanting to lose them earlier on the Mountain, he had been too fast, he wonders. If shiny attracts people, it could only work in his favor. Still, the pointy teeth with which he grins at her now, might make her pause. ”Oh, but I’m not a tourist. I do travel, though. A lot.”

Which is to say, if she doesn’t chase him away (and how would she accomplish that, he wonders) he will stay and live here, but also will visit every other place his heart or feet tell him to go in the meantime.

Perhaps assuming she understands all this from one comment isn’t quite fair - he knows, but also knows time will tell.

”Leilan. And, yes. I did just tell you I do travel a lot. Hyaline was no exception.” he smiles at the mare, waiting for more questions, or for her to leave. He’s not sharing a whole lot, after all. Some people don’t seem to like being teased and drawn out so much - makes them irritated. Some would fight but, honestly, she seems like the type to keep her dignity and just ignore him when he’s too much.

Perfect.
    Leilan
    no. 7 | ice forged in fire

@[Kensa]
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

Messages In This Thread
    RE: The sun hung from a string, looking down on the world - any - by Leilan - 07-25-2019, 11:35 AM