• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  my heart saw the things my eyes couldn't see; lynx
    My heart saw the things my eyes couldn't see
    It’s troubling, to see the drawn expression on her lovely features that she so swiftly tries to mask from him. He had always worked so hard to tease the woman from beneath the stern exterior she so often presents, only to have the very land work to undo his progress. The very home they had so long assumed safe. A sanctuary. He knows there is so much she hadn’t shared with him, knows she is doing her best to keep him from seeing her fear and uncertainty.

It aches, to know that and yet not quite know how to combat it. He can tease and reassure, but serious situations had never been his strong suit. And he wonders sometimes if she had begun to second-guess her choices. Wonders sometimes if she fears he isn’t truly able to protect them.

Sometimes he even wonders if he can.

But for the first time since they had met, he is uncertain. It’s not a feeling he is accustomed to, nor one he particularly cares for. Perhaps it is his own thoughts that had caused her withdrawn worry.

Then, for a moment, as he affectionately kisses her, he sees the way she softens. Even if it is only for a moment, he sees it. And he knows she is still here because she wants to be. She could have fled, but she hadn’t. Their family meant more than whatever worry plagues her. If only he could find the words to convince her she could always confide in him.

Rubbing his lips along the elegant curve of her cheek, he lips lightly at her skin before turning, his shoulder brushing hers and he lifts his head towards the beach. Glancing back at her, that teasing grin toys with his lips as he quips, “You suppose, hmm?” His amber eyes glint faintly as he glances at the water, then back at her before leaning closer, his voice a low, faux-whisper. “I bet I could sweeten the deal.”
    Fox

Messages In This Thread
    RE: my heart saw the things my eyes couldn't see; lynx - by Fox - 06-21-2019, 01:00 PM