• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

between the shadows and the soul - all kingdom

So far the only one to greet me has been a child, and as I said, children aren't really my forte. So although I am not a blooded member of the Chamber the Queen's call to a kingdom meeting grabs my attention. I trot closer to the fragrant pine trees where a patched mare is standing next to a sapling. I am the first to arrive but others gather soon. I breathe in the deep, musky scents surrounding me, trying to learn each one. I want to know all I can. I stand among them, wondering absently if I will be called to account as a stranger.

I haven't met the Queen of the Chamber yet, but I've heard enough in bits and pieces to catch a small profile. She has ravens, for one. She's admired by many of her kingdom's inhabitants. And as she speaks, I can hear the passion she has for this place.

She sounds like my mother when she speaks of the Valley.

I release an inward sigh. I don't understand that kind of attachment to a place. To me, it's all dirt and plants, changing season after season, but belonging to no one. Allegiance to that is foreign.

Still, I admire Straia's purposefulness.

I listen as she explains the sapling, which seems to be common knowledge for most. Beqanna has changed much from the place my mother described to me as a child. I like it.

"What do you plan to do with them, once you steal them?" I speak, my voice steady. Most take my quiet tone and relaxed posture as a sign that I am weak, but they have made their first mistake when doing so. "I am Kushiel. I am interested in being of use, but I find little passion for an army that has no battles, or diplomacy if I must lie."

Not that I am above lying, but I hate small talk. And I don't see the point in pretending I like someone if I don't.

"I agree with you, Straia. This place needs change. The chamber seems active. Perhaps raids to kidnap the children of other kingdoms, to raise here as loyal Chamber members. Or raids just to fuck with the other royalty. From what I've seen, they are complacent."

The flames on my back leap eagerly at the thought. I have an ache for action, stronger than a desire for food or sex or water.

Messages In This Thread
    between the shadows and the soul - all kingdom - by Kushiel - 08-12-2015, 07:35 PM
    RE: between the shadows and the soul - all kingdom - by Gryffen - 08-16-2015, 01:39 PM
    RE: between the shadows and the soul - all kingdom - by Gryffen - 08-23-2015, 11:03 PM
    RE: between the shadows and the soul - all kingdom - by Gryffen - 09-01-2015, 02:46 PM