• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
    Icicle Isle Quest: Round 2
    Kagerus
    { and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times }

There on the coast of Icicle Isle, the faeries take pity on us. As Solace and I huddle into each other, a blessedly warm wind blows; I mutter words of thanks into my wife's skin, hoping against hope that this respite might extend longer than I know it will. As our coats dry, I take the liberty of lifting my head to scan our surroundings; ahead, two paths stretch. It is a reasonable distance away, right at the end of the beach; one clearly goes left, and the other right. I wonder for a moment what it could possibly mean.

A snow flake lands on my nose. It shouldn't, but it chills me to my bones; within seconds, the snow is falling thickly. Looking frantically from side to side, I spot Valdis, and then -

"Litotes!"

But the wind picks up and I do not hear his reply, and in fact, the snow falls now so quickly that I cannot even see the General of Hyaline. Choking down a sob, I turn to press myself to Solace, endlessly thankful that we have not yet parted ways.

"Not so far now," I lie. "Let's get to it."

Bending and twisting my head to protect my eyes from the onslaught of snow and ice, I begin to step forward through the now-frozen sand, making sure to never allow my skin to part from Solace's. We walk side by side now, as equals. After a few steps, I stop, confused and disoriented - other hoof prints are in the snow but I don't remember seeing or hearing anyone. Have we come this way before? Crestfallen, it is only when Solace yells words of encouragement through the storm and sets out on a new path that I begin moving again, my joints arguing loudly against the cold of the tempest.

At last, we arrive at the mouths of the two telltale paths. Just as we halt, a pale yellow figure brushes past me.

"Leander! Cousin!"

But my words are lost to the might of the storm, and I must watch as he disappears two steps later onto the left-most path. Aching and scared, I turn to Solace and am shocked to see Litotes by her side.

Swallowing, I attempt to collect myself.

"Litotes, which way will you go?"

I squint through the storm, wondering he heard me. He must have read my lips, for I do not hear him when he shouts back; but then he gestures to the right. I nod, and gesture to the left.

Divide and conquer.

Shuddering and miserable in my fear, I beckon Solace forward onto the path to the left. We have yet to see anything except a wall of white in this shitstorm; but the wellworn path will lead us somewhere one way or another, and we have now only to pray that the faeries take mercy on us.

@[Litotes] @[Leander]
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver

Messages In This Thread
    Icicle Isle Quest: Round 2 - by Beqanna Fairy - 11-14-2018, 10:30 PM
    RE: Icicle Isle Quest: Round 2 - by Kolera - 11-14-2018, 11:14 PM
    RE: Icicle Isle Quest: Round 2 - by Nalia - 11-15-2018, 03:53 AM
    RE: Icicle Isle Quest: Round 2 - by Briella - 11-17-2018, 10:39 PM
    RE: Icicle Isle Quest: Round 2 - by Leander - 11-17-2018, 11:11 PM
    RE: Icicle Isle Quest: Round 2 - by Wallace - 11-18-2018, 11:37 AM
    RE: Icicle Isle Quest: Round 2 - by leliana - 11-18-2018, 12:54 PM
    RE: Icicle Isle Quest: Round 2 - by Leilan - 11-18-2018, 02:51 PM