• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Do not fear change - any
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    'cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
    He had found winter cold, once upon a time. As a foal, abandoned on the beach, he had gone to his father in the Tundra, and the first winter was nearly unbearable. His mother’s hot Arabian bloodline had not lent itself to frigid climes of the bachelor’s Tundra, and the first winter Brennen had often thought he might freeze. But as they say, ‘what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger’. The bay warrior had never grown much of a coat, always sleeker than most of his brothers even in the dead of winter, but he had his overlarge wings with their downy insulation to fold against his body and block out the worst of the icy drafts, and over time he stopped feeling the cold entirely.

Still, many of their visitors and newcomers had not been so equipped, and so he is used to the sight and signs of those who are cold, and how to help them before they became dangerously so. It wasn’t a skill he had ever thought to need outside of his lost Tundra, but as he stands today at the edge of the Meadow, idly watching the world go by, his eyes settle on the dark young mare and he can see the signs. Needing no further prompting, he wanders in her direction, making his intention clear with a quiet nicker so as not to startle her by suddenly being too close.

He comes to a halt facing her, purposefully putting his body between the girl and the biting wind, and wishing not for the first time that his control over the wind itself had not vanished along with his former home. It is, after all, the biting, freezing, invasive winds that make the cold feel worse than it even is. Still, even without the ability to quiet the wind with a thought, he has a few other tricks up his proverbial sleeve. Slowly, still working not to scare the stranger, Brennen mantles his over-large black wings and then extends them, using his body and his wings to form a windblock behind which the girl can take shelter. It would be better to have her step close, to share his body heat and drape a wing over her back to keep them both warm, but Brennen would never presume such familiarity with anyone unless they truly looked like they were dying, and she doesn’t seem that far gone.

“You look cold,” he offers in his typical slow, drawling voice by way of explanation. “I’m Brennen.”
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    and in your heat I feel how cold it can get
    BRENNEN

Messages In This Thread
    Do not fear change - any - by Amorette - 03-05-2017, 09:10 AM
    RE: Do not fear change - any - by Brennen - 03-07-2017, 11:01 PM
    RE: Do not fear change - any - by Amorette - 03-08-2017, 06:59 AM