• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

all that glitters is gold - Naira

kreios

don't you tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash

She says that she is fine but there is something in her voice that still has me worried. I am not at all bothered by being woken and I am sure that the other mares aren’t either. I’m mostly worried about Naira, since everyone else appears to be fine. I shake away her apology with my head, and when he mentions I nightmare I reach out to touch her gently on the neck with my muzzle, hoping it will reassure her. “It was just a dream,” I say, “you’re fine now.”

The view of the herd land seems to distract her and for a moment I think that all is well. I turn my head to look over it was well, but even as I do she becomes distant again, and says that she has to go.

I don’t want to keep her here against her will, but as I move to cut off her path to the canyon trail I realize how easily I could. She’s smaller and easily overpowered, and I realize with a jolt of distaste that those are the thoughts of a less civilized creature. They are the thoughts of a stallion that views mares as property, the very opposite of what I had intended when I had first chosen to begin a herd of my own. I do not own Naira anymore than I own Nymeria or Illusen; she is free to go as she pleases.

But in this case, I do not want her to go. Not because I wish to keep her as a possession, but because the reasons that she gives for leaving make no sense to me. She could be happy here, I know, and yet she is not letting herself be. “Don’t go.” I tell her, reaching out for her cheek with my pale muzzle. “I don’t know who ‘they’ are, but in case you haven’t noticed I’m a pretty formidable guy.” I try a tentative smile, hoping that my well-intentioned joke will cheer her from whatever has so darkened her mood. “I imagine that I’m pretty tough to kill, but they’d have to get through me first before they’d get anywhere near you or the other mares.”

Though I had started a herd as a non-violent creature (and still prefer to avoid bloodshed when possible), I am more than willing to lay down my life in order to ensure that my family is safe. I cannot tell if Naira knows that, but as I continue to try and block her way I hope she does. “Who are they, Naira? Why are you so scared of them?”

Messages In This Thread
    all that glitters is gold - Naira - by Kreios - 06-03-2015, 04:09 PM
    RE: all that glitters is gold - Naira - by Naira - 06-04-2015, 12:15 PM
    RE: all that glitters is gold - Naira - by Kreios - 06-06-2015, 10:21 AM
    RE: all that glitters is gold - Naira - by Naira - 06-06-2015, 11:29 AM
    RE: all that glitters is gold - Naira - by Kreios - 06-06-2015, 12:12 PM
    RE: all that glitters is gold - Naira - by Naira - 06-06-2015, 11:49 PM
    RE: all that glitters is gold - Naira - by Kreios - 06-08-2015, 01:31 PM