• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

all that glitters is gold - Naira

kreios

don't you tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash

Most nights I only doze – restful sleep is for those that have not committed themselves to the protection of a herd and a kingdom. Usually toward morning when I know that the mares are starting to rise and are watchful themselves, I tend to fall deeper asleep, instinctively relaxed when other eyes and ears are alert.

I do not get that chance this morning.

The startled whinny has me immediately and entirely awake, my body tense and stone-still as I attempt to determine the direction from whence the danger comes. I smell nothing – no predator or smoke – and hear no raised voices or frightened cries. The other mares that I can see look startled but otherwise unharmed, and I know that they’ll take their cues from me and I do my best to remain calm. The only horse that I cannot see is Naira, who I had left to rest in the orange grove late last night.

I move toward her quickly, the echo of my heavy hooves ringing off the canyon walls whenever I cross bare stone. She’s not where I left her, but I suppose that she might have oved to find a more sheltered place to sleep. I move more carefully now, peering through the grove of trees until I see a flash of gold between the brown trunks.

“Naira!” I call out, letting her know that it’s me coming through the trees. When I’m closer I can see the sweat on her coat, too fresh to have been from our exertions last night. “Are you alright? I thought I heard someone yell – was that you?” I see no sign of snakes (sometimes they nest in the overhanging branches) and she appears unharmed, if a little nervous. “Did something happen?”

Messages In This Thread
    all that glitters is gold - Naira - by Kreios - 06-03-2015, 04:09 PM
    RE: all that glitters is gold - Naira - by Naira - 06-04-2015, 12:15 PM
    RE: all that glitters is gold - Naira - by Kreios - 06-06-2015, 10:21 AM
    RE: all that glitters is gold - Naira - by Naira - 06-06-2015, 11:29 AM
    RE: all that glitters is gold - Naira - by Kreios - 06-06-2015, 12:12 PM
    RE: all that glitters is gold - Naira - by Naira - 06-06-2015, 11:49 PM
    RE: all that glitters is gold - Naira - by Kreios - 06-08-2015, 01:31 PM