• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

this is the road to ruin - anyone

kreios

don't you tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash

I am too fond of the herd life to be monogamous; the idea of a single true love has always seemed to me to be a kingdom’s substitution for the natural order of things. It is well and good, of course, and I do not deny that those who feel it do in fact feel it, but it has never been something that I wanted. Even Lucrezia - who if I had been the romantic type would surely have been my true love – with her smiling eyes and our spotted son, has never caused more than the familiar warmth of being needed to burn in my chest.

Love is something that I feel for my family – my herd mares and my children – but it is not something that I seek out. Though I suspected that the blue-tipped twins belonged to stallion other than Mandan, I had never mentioned it; who Ygritte chooses to lie with is her own decision. I had wished briefly that it had been me instead, but with that thought came a streak of possession that I was not entirely comfortable with, and I have not thought of it since.

Still, when Ygritte says that Mandan is gone, I do not feel the appropriate disappointment at the loss of a member of our kingdom. I should mourn his absence, not picture Ygritte rounded out with pregnancy and a pink spotted foal at her side. I do anyway, of course, and its only respect for the formality of kingdom life and the respect I have for the bay mare that keeps my gentle touch on her shoulder platonic.

The teasing jealousy in her tony is only that, teasing, so when I tell her: “Maybe one.” I do not expect her to react with anything more than surprise, the way I would were Mandan to return and renew his claim on Ygritte. “Teali will be here soon,” I tell her, “So I suppose I did manage to do some recruiting of my own.” At that I smile, knowing that finding a mare to play house with a king is far less daunting a task than recruiting a willing and loyal member to the kingdom.

Messages In This Thread
    this is the road to ruin - anyone - by Kreios - 03-12-2016, 12:12 PM
    RE: this is the road to ruin - anyone - by Kreios - 03-19-2016, 06:14 PM
    RE: this is the road to ruin - anyone - by Kreios - 03-21-2016, 09:56 AM
    RE: this is the road to ruin - anyone - by Kreios - 03-23-2016, 01:35 PM
    RE: this is the road to ruin - anyone - by Kreios - 04-01-2016, 06:28 PM