• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

- warning signs ; any

you and I both know that the house is haunted
    and you and I both know that the ghost is me

It is clear that tension bristles between Syden and the mare, and Magnus frowns momentarily.

It was not in his nature to let other stallions talk down to mares, but since he had not heard anything that was overtly cruel, he kept it to himself. Besides, he had walked into the conversation late and had no way of knowing what was said before he arrived. For all he knew, the mare had been horrifically rude—although, looking at her now, Magnus could not imagine her doing so. Still, he brushed it off, suppressing his typical urge to protect those in his vicinity and watched the stallion with renewed interest.

As Hurricane gave his pitch, one corner of his lacerated lips rose into a corner. It was an honest proposal, and he was grateful for it. Too often recruiters came to the Field with sugared words and false promises; it was nice to see that Hurricane presented the Tundra for what it was—flaws and all. When it became silent, Magnus shrugged his scarred shoulders. “As he said, all kingdoms will have the same foundation for their proposal: protection, camaraderie, the chance for promotions. That is all the same.” Not that Magnus’ viewed his offer as one that came from, say, the Valley—but that was neither here nor there.

“As for my motives,” his voice fell off, considering what drove him to the field every day. “I’m from the Gates. Usually, my motive is simple: help individuals find a home that suits them. The Gates can be a great many things to a great many people. It is a haven for some. It is a fresh start for others. For many, as Hurricane said, it is a place to gain rank and power.” His mouth becomes a grim slash across his face, “However, if I am being honest, my motive right now is to find strong soldiers for her ranks.”

Magnus considered the other stallion for a second, frowning in thought. “A few years ago, the Gates was attacked by another kingdom here, the Chamber. It was unprovoked; the actions of a bully.” It had been before Magnus had returned to Beqanna—returned to the Gates—but that was irrelevant. He should have been there to help protect them. “The land is recovering, and we are growing, but Beqanna is uneasy. I have a feeling war is on the horizon, and we need the strong, the willing, the brave to fight for the Gates.”

It was not an easy offer. It was one that demanded bloodshed before he had even made the choice—but it was also a noble one should he choose it. There was a chance to be on the right side of history. “You look like a soldier, and it would be an honor to fight alongside you—but, ultimately, the choice is yours.” He nodded toward Hurricane. “The brotherhood is a noble kingdom, and they would be lucky to have you.”

Still, Magnus hoped this stallion would be willing to join the army.
    Hoped he would be willing to fight for a kingdom he had never even seen.

MAGNUS

once general. once lord. once king.

© robert bejil photography
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]

Messages In This Thread
    - warning signs ; any - by decypher code - 11-21-2015, 09:07 PM
    RE: - warning signs ; any - by Estonia - 11-21-2015, 10:24 PM
    RE: - warning signs ; any - by decypher code - 11-21-2015, 10:38 PM
    RE: - warning signs ; any - by Hurricane - 11-22-2015, 12:37 AM
    RE: - warning signs ; any - by decypher code - 11-22-2015, 08:33 AM
    RE: - warning signs ; any - by Estonia - 11-22-2015, 01:01 PM
    RE: - warning signs ; any - by magnus - 11-22-2015, 03:24 PM