• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

this is the howling at the moon; any

JHENE

at dawn I woke in the rubble
    Knee-deep in destruction I'd wrought

I’d suspected but been unable to confirm that I had actually made it to Beqanna, so when the grey stallion says as much I smile all the wider. Good, I think, I’ve made it. I nod in reply to his question – I’d meant both, but he elaborates, and I listen carefully. The Dale. The name sounds familiar, but I was never the most attentive child, and have forgotten most of the details of parent’s stories.

“My mother used to live in the Dale,” I tell him, because that much at least I am sure of. He hadn’t asked about tht though, and rather than elaborate I decide to wait until he says something more. I don’t want to irritate the first horse I’ve met.

I’m relieved to learn that the snow will melt eventually, and I look hopefully at the robin as though willing it to bring Spring a bit faster. I am ready for warmth and flowers and sunshine. He asks about me, and for a moment I hesitate. The place we lived had no name, it was simply a beach and a meadow and a forest, a secluded island where my parents remain. “Over the sea,” I say instead, “But my parents came from here, before.” I do not know how clear it is in my speech and actions that I am still young; I try so very hard to act like the adult that Father had said I was.

I turn at the sound of approaching hooves and see a mare, her movements elegant and her manner exceeding polite. “Oh hello!” I say, unconsciously straitening my shoulders in an attempt to look as poised as she does. “Ramiel was telling me about the Dale.” I explain, “Are you from the Dale too?”

Then waves came crashing down on me
    And tried to take me out to sea

Messages In This Thread
    this is the howling at the moon; any - by Ramiel - 10-28-2015, 12:17 PM
    RE: this is the howling at the moon; any - by Jhene - 11-12-2015, 09:45 AM
    RE: this is the howling at the moon; any - by Astrah - 11-15-2015, 07:50 PM