• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  a war inside my head
    my crown is in my heart
    This time he can feel the magic in his blood as it whips around like a caged beast. He devotes much of his focus to it, even holding his breath as he does as Zain had taught him. Rather than reaching out, the branches he imagines dig further into his body, rooting into his chest like the feet of a great tree, a giant gnarled hand webbing its way throughout his bones.

It is almost painful as his heart pounds even harder, as his muscles tremble, but he is determined to try and contain his grim power as much as he can. He does not want it affecting the first new faces he’s met in months, let alone brand new arrivals to Beqanna. They did not need to know the fear of the plagues he had been born into so long ago and which have clearly infected him with a permanence he could never have expected.

Luckily, it actually seems to work this time. As Awi speaks softly to offer her help, Oaks shakes his head stiffly although his smile is grateful. A few steadying breaths pass through his labored lungs before he responds, “No, I–” He swallows thickly, lifting one foot quickly so that his knee flexes and pops before his foot stomps softly back onto the ground. His legs don’t shake as much, suddenly, and the pounding in his head begins to abate. “I think it’s working…” His voice is quiet and laced with disbelief as he blinks slowly and looks back up at the pair. His muscles still ache – truly, he wants to lie down and gather himself again – but he manages to lift his head to a more natural stance at last.

“I’m terribly sorry to have worried you,” he admits abashedly, still hoarse and roughened but clearly regaining a bit of coherence. His chest feels tight, bound tightly by his own magic, but he can actually feel himself healing. It is just as bizarre as it is draining and he still doesn’t move from where he stands with his wings draped at his sides, but even the burning heat between his shoulders seems to be subsiding. “But I am going to be fine.” His smile is incredulous now – had something finally happened to curb the woeful curse in his blood?

my crown is called torment
    OAKS

@Awi  @Quetzalli

ooc - sorry for jumping ahead of you Kornari! <3  But I wanted to get this part of the thread out of the way real quick, I hope you don't mind :]

Messages In This Thread
    a war inside my head - by Oaks - 06-10-2024, 01:02 PM
    RE: a war inside my head - by Awi - 06-10-2024, 05:35 PM
    RE: a war inside my head - by Quetzalli - 06-13-2024, 07:05 AM
    RE: a war inside my head - by Oaks - 06-14-2024, 09:32 AM
    RE: a war inside my head - by Awi - 06-15-2024, 09:57 AM
    RE: a war inside my head - by Quetzalli - 06-17-2024, 07:34 AM
    RE: a war inside my head - by Oaks - 06-24-2024, 02:42 PM
    RE: a war inside my head - by Awi - 06-28-2024, 10:05 AM
    RE: a war inside my head - by Oaks - 07-08-2024, 09:37 AM
    RE: a war inside my head - by Quetzalli - 07-09-2024, 01:59 PM
    RE: a war inside my head - by Awi - 07-20-2024, 06:56 AM