• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  my heart is thrilled by the still of your hand
    yes i know that love is like ghosts,
    few have seen it but everybody talks —

She sees the confusion that passes over his face, and that only further fuels the humiliation that settles like a knot in the pit of her chest. She is convinced that he is going to find her strange, as so many did. Even though this place is flooded with magic, she knew that what she could do was peculiar, and not one of those things others considered ‘pretty’ or ‘powerful’; she could not bend starlight or encourage flowers to bloom at her touch, she could not conjure fire or heal wounds.

All she could do is converse with the dead, and even to them she was largely useless. The thing that many of them wanted the most was to be alive again, and there was nothing she could do about that.

“Oh,” is all she says at first at his answer, a small frown shadowing her face. It had not occurred to her that it was possible to actually become living again after you’ve been dead. She doesn’t even know that both of her parents had once been dead, and that it was only by some strange happening that the gates to the Afterlife had been left open, allowing them passage back. She did not see her father often, and her mother did not speak much of her past, and Narya had learned from a young age to not pry — Anonya was the type that always seemed to be barely treading the water of her sadness, and Narya did not want to be the reason she was pulled under.

“How?” she finds herself asking, and though her voice maintains its usual softened tone and her face still reserved, there is a spark of curiosity that warms her dark eyes. “What I mean is, how are you alive now?”
    Narya
    — spirits follow everywhere i go,
    they sing all day and they haunt me in the night

@cancer

Messages In This Thread
    RE: my heart is thrilled by the still of your hand - by Narya - 04-14-2024, 10:29 PM