• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  i gave it all, any
    As infallible as she felt most days, Cheri knew her limitations well enough by now not to pretend that they didn’t exist. His wars were still his own to battle alone inside the safety (or prison) of his innermost thoughts, although at the very edges of her sight Cheri could sense something like an aura surrounding him. She neither focused nor fed into the suspicion, preferring that they remained on as equal a footing as possible in the meantime, and though her eyes swam with impossible stars she was still just a rather glittery sort of mare out in the Field, dampened by a morning dew and intrigued by the mystery of a stranger in this land.

He looked away; afraid, perhaps? But Cheri second-guessed herself and decided she couldn’t be certain of his expression. Maybe he was hiding something, and that was fine as well: she believed secrets were best uncovered slowly.

“A compliment, a statement, and a question.” The warmth of her blossoming smile was genuine, though tainted with humor. “You’re in need of more help than I thought.”

Lucky for him that she was the helpful sort. “There are many homes and many types of magic to be found here.” Cheri glanced from his writhing horns of flame back toward the throng of horseflesh in the distance, appraising their spots and colors with a knowing look. “Where you end up is a choice; you’re more than welcome to find refuge and safety in my lands, the place where I call home. Or you can branch out on your own, establish a place and run it as you see fit.” She shrugged her wings, overdue for a turn at acting nonchalant.

Her head turned back to him, brilliant despite it’s dark-colored fur. “The rest is more a matter of fate.”

And as for herself? “I’m Cheri,” she announced, “and I can promise that if you hang around here long enough, you’ll see things that make a horse like myself seem small in comparison.”

What she wouldn’t give to be able to read his mind right then. To hear his response unfiltered and honest rather than interpreting it as true or false, now that would’ve given her a pleasant shiver of delight. She held her breath for a second and wondered... but in the end she still heard nothing, so Cheri settled for trying to read the language of his body instead. That venture proved not to be as disappointing as her earlier efforts had been. He might’ve been thinner than he ought to be, but up close she could see the finesse and strength wrought together in his bodily form, making him generally enticing.

How could he end up here alone? She wondered, and as she did the intrigue deepened. There was a part of her (small and selfish) that quietly hoped he would come home with her to Loess, only so she could dig further.

@gaspard

Messages In This Thread
    i gave it all, any - by gaspard - 09-10-2021, 03:38 PM
    RE: i gave it all, any - by Cheri - 09-12-2021, 09:20 PM
    RE: i gave it all, any - by gaspard - 09-14-2021, 05:42 PM
    RE: i gave it all, any - by Cheri - 09-22-2021, 08:41 AM
    RE: i gave it all, any - by gaspard - 09-25-2021, 12:52 PM
    RE: i gave it all, any - by Cheri - 10-02-2021, 11:39 PM