• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

DESOLATION COMES UPON THE SKY - Yael, Rhy, Camrynn, Pevensie.
    We do what we must,
    Because we can.

Scorch may be no god, no mind reader, just a queen, but luckily (or perhaps unluckily) Camrynn has now got two of those particular boxes checked. And with the power of magic and the way she uses it, it would be easy to think she's playing god.

She knows that this moment of reckoning will come, and she's given a lot of thought as far as how to handle it. She's surprisingly reluctant to betray Scorch; she genuinely likes the woman. But she's made a promise to the gods of the Deserts, sworn an oath that if she ever disobeys them, they'll take her magic. And god knows, she cares a whole lot more about oaths made on her magic than she does about virtually anything else in the world.

She is the first to approach other than Yael, and for that she is grateful. It will give her time to do what must be done before the rest of them arrive. There are steps that must be taken, even before Pevensie would get there. Remembering her promise to Yael, she appears in her true form, a black mare, young but no baby.

The first step is to look contrite, look every inch of the youth and inexperience she doesn't have. And as she crests the dune toward them, she accomplishes that goal perfectly. They will no doubt notice the gold crook and flail that mark her chest, standing out so much that they are almost radiant in the Deserts sun.

Her eyes are deserts-gold, but she doesn't meet Scorch's gaze. Only once she is close, almost close enough to touch, does the apparently-yearling speak. "It's me," she says, her voice almost nothing but breath. She does not look up from the sands. "Me and Pevensie."

"But I had to swear…" she looks to Scorch now, her eyes deep with sadness. "I must serve the Deserts first and foremost, with my whole heart, or they may destroy everything that I hold dear." She is so impossibly convincing, truly the heartbroken child, the girl who tried to do her best and has fallen. And it's actually not a lie; she had sworn, and she had sworn on what is most dear to her. That just happens to be her magic. With that on the line, she doesn't play games. "I didn't know what to do, so I said yes." She looks down at the sand again. "I hope I did right."

And with the most perfectly crafted sorrow in her eyes, she backs up several steps, standing alongside Yael and waiting for Pevensie.

C A M R Y N N
    Why? Because I can

Image copyright MariannaInsomnia

Messages In This Thread
    RE: DESOLATION COMES UPON THE SKY - Yael, Rhy, Camrynn, Pevensie. - by Camrynn - 04-10-2015, 06:00 PM