• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  show me where the light is, any

despite the overwhelming odds, tomorrow came

So the ball of light is sentient. Though I had seen many things since coming to Beqanna, and had found gifts of my own, this was definitely something that surprises (and intrigues) me. I watch the star float up and down in front of me, as if nodding to the chestnut mare, and I can’t help but smile at the uncanny thing before me. I would have asked about him, but then the older mare’s attention is snatched by the filly by my side.

I watch as she steps forward toward @[lilliana]. It makes me happy that Memorie has a family, and I can’t help but feel grateful to have this chance encounter for her to meet part of that family, despite how difficult it might be for me. I mean, when I had left, I didn’t care about anyone but my own feelings. Then the child had been born, and suddenly, I had begun to regret leaving, not for myself, but for her. Well, and a part of me missed Yanhua and wanted to find a way to make things work.

Memorie closes the distance between her and Lilliana by taking a step forward and then reaches her nose up to touch the older mare’s nose ever so gently. Then she dances back with a giggle, smiling warmly up at her grandmother. “Hi!” She says brightly, and I can’t help but smile.

I laugh a very forced laugh at Lilliana’s joke about being very thirsty to have come to the ocean, and I try to act happy, but by the look in the other mare’s eyes, I could tell she wasn’t buying it. Luckily the sentient ball of light’s antics draw the attention away from my pain, and Lilliana asks Memorie if she’s ever met a star before. A star! I think, amazed at such a wondrous thing. The filly looks even more dazzled than me, though. “A star?!” She exclaims. “No, I have not!” And when she relays the message from the star about her tail, the little filly bucks up her legs so that her tail flies up over her rump in excitement. “I got mama’s blue tail!” She continues, as if it’s the greatest thing ever. The exchange lifts my heart, and for a few moments I forget my pain, and a genuine smile breaks across my face.

When I look back to Lilliana, the mare seems more sober and offers me some gentle words of wisdom. I look out over the ocean as the waves come crashing in. For a moment, I just stare out into the great expanse, and it makes me feel so small, like my problems are just a drop in the giant ocean of life. “It seems like a good place to clear your head,” I muse.

When she thanks me for the healing I’d brought Taiga, I’m surprised. I half expected her to ask me about my problems, but thanking me for what I’d done for the land was the last thing I expected. I give her a warm, genuine smile. “Of course. It is a beautiful land, and I want to do my part to heal what has been broken.” When Lilliana asks about motherhood, though, that’s when my face truly brightens. “Oh, Lilliana, I am more in love than I have ever been in my entire life, and I don’t think anything can compare. She makes me a better horse every day. I’m sure you can understand that.” I could tell just by the way she looked at Memorie that she knew exactly what I was talking about.

borderline

Photo by Sharon McCutcheon from Unsplash

Messages In This Thread
    show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-07-2020, 10:32 PM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-08-2020, 03:22 PM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-08-2020, 11:51 PM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by Borderline - 12-09-2020, 12:44 AM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-09-2020, 06:12 PM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-10-2020, 12:04 AM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-12-2020, 12:12 AM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-13-2020, 10:06 PM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-17-2020, 12:31 PM