• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  Nothing matters but the pain when you’re alone [any]

despite the overwhelming odds, tomorrow came

When the other mare turns to look back in the direction from which she comes, I look with her, following her gaze carefully. Was that were I would go, too? I am excited, to be sure, but with that excitement comes trepidation as well. Goodness knows I have ruined a fair few things in my life. I could easily ruin this opportunity as well. My mother had liked to remind me of the things I had ruined for her.

I listen in rapt silence as she explains the place from which she comes. A forest? I draw in a steady breath, trying to imagine it. A forest with cliffs and an isle. I could feel the excitement peaking within me, and that’s when I splashed forward, practically drenching the other mare and hanging my head in shame. She tells me that I have nothing to be sorry for, however, and within a moment, I can feel the excitement once more. I hadn’t ruined this opportunity! At least not yet.

The mare smiles, and I return the smile, perhaps with a little more enthusiasm than I meant to. “My name is Borderline,” I say. It wasn’t a very nice name. My mother had liked to remind me that she’d named me that because I was borderline crazy. But this mare, Lilliana, did not need to know that. In fact, I don’t think I want to really talk about my past with anyone here. I had come to make a new life for myself, to start fresh.

The excitement hasn’t worn off as I wonder out loud, “would I swim to the isle?” Well, that was a dumb question, Borderline, I tell myself. Of course you would have to swim to an island. An embarrassed look passes briefly over my features. “I do enjoy water,” I say, trying to get over the embarrassment while looking back down at the lake I had previously been playing in.

borderline

Photo by Sharon McCutcheon from Unsplash

@[lilliana]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Nothing matters but the pain when you’re alone [any] - by Borderline - 09-11-2020, 12:31 PM