• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    [open]  won't let it go down until we torch it ourselves
    When Lumina smiles at the memory of her mother, the dragon looks sad. It is unexpected, and when he speaks it is sad and soft, and his eyes go glossy the way some of her mothers’ do when they spun tales of their youth for an eager audience of Lumina and her myriad of siblings. ‘She must have been kind’, the roan creature says.

Had he known her?

Lumina chides herself as soon as the thought comes. She’s being silly, believing in fairies tales and children’s stories. Of course this stranger hadn’t known her mother; the odds of that are nigh impossible. That she find what she is looking for here, on her first adventure, with the first creature she meets? That would be impossible.

So rather than ask, and feel the crushing weight of disappointment, Lumina accepts what she knows must be true. Her father is not kind, and Leilan knows him. Lumina’s civility, then, must be due to her mother. Easy dots to connect. Though the smile that comes from him next is a wry one, the spotted mare is not eager to linger on the past, and her blue ears prick curiously as the dragon clarifies his elemental preferences.

It has never occurred to Lumina that there might be different kinds of dragons.

“There are dragons that like the heat?” She asks, sounding almost incredulous. Surely all dragons preferred water, like Terin does. But no, there are dragons like Leilan, who are ice creatures. She’d not known of his kind’s existence until a moment ago. What other wonders has she been ignorant of? What else has she missed out on, contained to one small island in the sea? “It’s not that I don’t believe you,” the brown-eyed mare attempts to clarify, feeling the discomfort still like a heavy knot in her belly. “It’s just that I’ve never heard of something like that before. Have you ever met any of them? Heat dragons, I mean?”

She is impossibly curious now, wondering what they might look like. The sun? Fire? The lava flows from the Tephran volcano? Her curiousity overpowers the discomfort she feels, as does what she is sure had been an invitation to stay a while longer and see the Aurora. So she’s not messed up her first social interaction too badly, it seems. “I would love to see the Aurora.” She tells him truthfully, her brown eyes bright with excitement. “What’s the Aurora?”

@[Leilan]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: won't let it go down until we torch it ourselves - by Lumina - 08-23-2020, 07:15 AM