• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  I've seen ghosts brighter than her soul, anyone

She tries not to tense when he steps towards her. She fights every instinct that tells her to lower her head and force him away before he can get the first strike in, she does her best to chase away the memories that still clung like cobwebs in her mind from the battlefield. She doesn’t move, but she is rigid – she inhales and she holds it, she watches him with untrusting eyes and a tight jaw as he nearly touches her antlers (and she hates herself for noticing how the movement had left his throat exposed, hates herself for thinking, even fleetingly, how easy it would be to duck her head and thrust and tine right into his skin).

When he again withdraws she releases her breath, some of the tension disappearing when she shifts herself backwards to lengthen the space between them. “I guess fascinating is one way to put it,” she says a little dryly. There had been a time when she, too, had found it fascinating, but now it all just seemed twisted.

Like maybe this land was meant to break them until they were bitter and jaded; until their wonder and hope dissolved into indifference.

“I fought for them,” she answers bluntly at first, and she considers not elaborating. It would be easier to forget, she thinks, if that memory lived only in her own mind. It would be easier to move on from it and regain the beginnings of their friendship if she was not planting seeds of doubt into his own mind, too.

But her heart twists cruelly in her chest, and when her gaze sharpens onto his face she cannot hide the accusation that finds its way into her tone, “I fought you.” The heat of anger flushes in her cheeks and her pulse suddenly elevates, and this time she takes a daring step forward as she continues with a tip of her head, “Or some version of you, I don’t know. I don’t know what’s real anymore.”

Aislyn

she set fire to all the things that held her back
    and from the ashes she stepped into who she always was

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I've seen ghosts brighter than her soul, anyone - by Aislyn - 03-19-2020, 01:49 PM