• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

all I want is one more chance to be young and wild and free; herds preferred
    All I want is one more chance to be young and wild and free
    She’d failed.

One whole year of searching, and she’d failed. She hadn’t even found the slightest trace of her dearest friend.

And now, there isn’t anything else she can do. She wouldn’t even know where to go next in the search for Sette, so there’s only one thing left for her to do. Go home a failure.

She slinks into the field, head low, shrinking into herself. She tries to avoid the gazes of the horses gathered, keeping her brown eyes trained on the hoof-trodden grass. She’s desperate to avoid any Amazons that might be out on the hunt for recruits - she doesn’t want to have to face Lagertha with nothing to show for her year of searching.

She makes a beeline for the trees on the far edge of the field, slipping in to the shade at the edge with a quiet sigh. Here at least she can keep an eye on those approaching and if she notices an Amazon tattoo, she can make a quick get away into the woods at her back. It’s shameful she knows, to be acting like this, to be avoiding Lagertha. But she wouldn’t be able to bare seeing that look of pain and disappointment on the Khaleesi’s face …

Vi shudders, and in an attempt to distract herself, leans down to take a mouthful of grass. It has little of the desired affect, but she continues to munch, keeping one eye trained on the field around her. Considering what she’s heard of the field, it won’t take long for someone to approach her, but she isn’t even certain of what she’ll do when someone does. Does she want to risk a kingdom? There’s still the slight chance of running into Lagertha or another Amazon on a diplomatic mission. Or, does she want the quiet, dull life of a herd mare …

Neither truly appeals (she just wants Sette, but she has no hope of finding her). But she’ll have to pick one. Anything is better than returning to the Jungle after all.

Kingdoms will be a very hard sell, definitely no Amazons. Smile

Also, replies might be slow for a bit.

He isn’t really paying attention to where he is going. Mostly, he’s just fiddling around, following a field of sun-bright blooms as he walks along rather aimlessly. They’re his blooms, but what does it matter? He’ll follow them anyway. As he ambles onward, he hums rather tunelessly. Can horses even hum? Well, whatever it is, he’s not doing it well.

But that is really the least of his worries right now. Mostly, he’s just trying to figure out what do.

It’s not just his wandering that is aimless, it’s his whole life it seems. His one mission, small though it had been, had come to an abrupt end when he had discovered his father had died. Rather recently too, if he understands things correctly. Since then he hadn’t a clue what the hell he is supposed to be doing with his life.

At first, he doesn’t even notice than he has come upon the Field. Not until he realizes that he is no longer alone. Blinking silvery eyes, he glances around at the wide open expanse dotted here and there with fellow horses. Well, that was unexpected.

Never mind the fact that he’d probably been traveling through the field for at least a couple minutes now.

As he gazes around, surrounded by a spray of bright yellow blooms, a thought occurs him. Why not start his own herd? The thought sounds good in his head, but putting it into practice is a whole different matter entirely. He’s really just not sure where to start.

After a long minute of rather desperate soul-searching, he just happens to catch a glimpse of a mare standing off by herself. It’s clear she is lurking near the edges, trying to (mostly) avoid notice. But if she didn’t want to be recruited into either kingdom or herd, why is she here at all?

That certainly warrants further investigation. So, he does the only sane thing any young, curious stallion would do. He approaches, allowing the flowers he’d been idly playing with to wither away into nothing. But as he comes to a halt near the roan girl, he realizes he doesn’t actually know what to say.

”Hi there. I’m Astray.” So smooth. So charming. Well, maybe if one was a mushroom, it might be.

who am i supposed to be
    if everything good is taken from me?

astray

Not quite sure what this is :|
    Why had Sette left anyway? She hadn’t seemed unhappy … in fact it’d seemed the opposite. She’d been training to take a place in the Jungle, visiting other kindgoms, practicing her diplomacy …

Had something happened with Lagertha? Had they had a fight that Lagertha hadn’t been willing to mention to her? Or … had it been herself. Had Vi’s spectacularly shitty attempts at being a friend finally driven her away?

The thought makes her want to sink even deeper into the earth. She couldn’t bear to think that it might be her fault. But it wouldn't make sense, would it? Sette wouldn’t have left just because of her? It can’t make sense.

She’s distracted from her worry spiral by the sound of approaching hooves. She’s actually a bit surprised that it hasn’t taken very long for someone to notice her.. She’d thought that, given her drab appearance and unwelcoming demeanour, she would’ve been last amongst the many mares present to be spoken to. But perhaps she simply seems less threatening …

She offers an uneasy smile to the approaching stallion and is surprised to note that he also appears a bit uncomfortable. Strange to think that she’d induce such a feeling in anyone. Normally most people take little note of her.

Except for Sette. Oh Sette …

She shakes her head slightly, trying to ground herself. Sette is gone. Gone, gone, gone. And she’s all alone in the field - not a good place to let herself get too distracted, especially with breeding season fast approaching.

The stallion is introducing himself suddenly and her head pops up to meet his eyes. Astray … interesting name. “Nice to meet you Astray. I’m Vi.” Vi the nobody, Vi the failure. Why is he bothering with her anyway? She must be the least impressive mare in the field.

He is largely clueless when it comes to just about everything in life. He hasn't had much opportunity to experience most things Beqanna has to offer. He'd been born to a mother who wandered more than she had stood still, and he hadn't previously been too interested in following a different path. But his brief foray into a kingdom has brought home just how much he is missing. And just how much he would probably like having a real home.

Ultimately though, he has absolutely no experience in this area of life. He had been a rather awkward colt who has grown into an equally awkward stallion. With no history in diplomacy and zero people (or horsey, I suppose) skills, the best he can do is shuffle his feet uncomfortably and wonder what the hell is supposed to come next.

”Viiii,” he says, drawing her name out a bit as he tests it on his tongue. It seems a good solid name to him. He could imagine saying it every day.

”Nice to meet you,” he finishes lamely. Yes, definitely talented and charming is our boy Astray.

Of course, to look at him, he isn't necessarily much either. Rather drab all the way around, in fact. With his medium build, unimpressive height, and dusty black coat, he won't be winning any beauty pageants. His eyes, with their unique silver color, are rather nice, and his gift, when in use, can be somewhat impressive, but those are about the only things he has going for him.

All in all, nothing truly impressive to inspire a pretty young mare like Vi to accompany him to a home he doesn't even have yet.

But, well, he'd gotten himself into this mess, might as well take it all the way, right?

”So do you want to come home with me?” he blurts out before he can rethink his plan. Except that didn't come out quite right. ”I mean, to my herd. Welllll, sorta. You're the only one… the first, actually. But it'll be nice. I mean, gotta find a place. But then it'll be nice.”

He has to force himself to stop at this point. After that first question, he had mostly just started babbling. Seriously, what the hell Astray? Pull yourself together man.

who am i supposed to be

astray

Is he … shuffling his feet?

Her eyes drop to his hooves for a moment before returning to his face, suddenly feeling a little emboldened. That’s something she does when she’s feeling uncomfortable. She’d been right - he is nervous, he does feel awkward.

She eyes him properly this time, truly taking in the young stallion standing before her.

He’s … unimpressive. But there’s some comfort to her in that. He’s of average build and height, with a dusky dark coat, and an awkward, affable demeanour that makes her feel more at ease now that she’s recognized it. His eyes are quite different - a pretty silver colour that she’s never seen before, not in eyes anyhow. But on the whole he’s pretty unremarkable. Not aggressive, not arrogant, just … ordinary. The sort of ordinary that often gets overlooked. Much like Vi herself.

The sort of ordinary that Sette would never have overlooked.

The sort of ordinary that she will resolve to not overlook herself. After all, he’s not overlooking her now, and she’s as unremarkable as they come.

He awkwardly fumbles out an invitation to join his herd, and small giggle slips out, surprising her. It’s been so long since she last had anything to laugh about, and it’s simply so amusing to her for anyone to trip over themselves because of her of all creatures. “I … I think I’d like that Astray.” She’s surprised too at the sudden realization that she’s being truthful. The thought of joining his herd, having a new, quiet little home … does appeal. “Do you have any particular place in mind?”

Sorry for the wait!

Ordinary. That is him to a T. Certainly bards wouldn’t be singing songs about him ever. Astray the ordinary, the awkward, the goofy. But if he could carve out a little slice of this earth for himself, he would be happy. A little bit of company, something to look forward to each and every morning, certainly wouldn’t go amiss either.

For a moment, he is absolutely positive she is going to say no. If ever there was a horse that looked dejected in that moment, it was he. Think sad puppy dog, just a little more pathetic, and you would have the picture of Astray. Much to his surprise and delight however, she says yes. Or, well, almost a yes. An ‘I think I’d like that’ is close enough for him.

His head comes up, ears perking forward as his silver eyes brighten in first surprise, then happiness. ”Really?” He cannot seem to help the astonished question as it pops out of his mouth, no matter how much he would like to call it back a moment later. Real good, Astray. Give her an excuse to change her mind.

”I mean, that’s great!” he fumbles, doing his (unfortunate) best to cover up his faux pas. Her next question, however, gives him pause as he realizes he hadn’t actually considered the where. But really, can we be surprised by this?

”Er, well…” he hems and haws, scrambling to come up with a suitable answer that doesn’t sound made up on the spot. Until he realizes he actually does know of a place that might work. He had passed through it once in his wanderings. ”Actually, there is this little place in the mountains. By the ocean. Gemstone Ridge?” That wasn’t supposed to be a question, but he is rather terrible with names. He’s not quite certain he has it right.

Whatever the case may be, it’ll have to work. He’s pretty sure he can’t possibly make a bigger fool of himself at this point anyway.

who am i supposed to be

astray