• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

the risk it takes to blossom; Joscelin

The world feels like it is moving fast and I will never catch up. I feel unsettled and moody one moment and full of exuberant energy in the next. I ache with the desire to be doing something. Anything. My body is leggy, but slowly filling out. I have the awkwardness common to my age with too large brown eyes and a half grown smoky black mane. My curves are starting to portend an inherited delicate beauty, but that loveliness is still only a promise.

Growing up is hard.

I sigh aloud, the noise of my exhalation startling a parrot I have been watching. It chatters angrily at me. I throw the gaudily colored bird a scowl and instantly feel abashed. It isnt the bird's fault I am out of sorts, after all. Still, parrots have never been my favorite. They are awfully noisy. I move away from the scolding creature and down a familiar path to the less populated area of the Jungle.

I feel at home. This is my home, of course, and always has been, but I truly feel it to the far reaches of my soul. The sisters and the jungle are inseparably intertwined in my make up. Nothing can come between us. Even as a stumbling yearling, I know that I will live and die for my home. I may not know yet the gravity of such a decision, but still I make it with a solemnity beyond my years.

A thought strikes me with a suddenness that almost takes my breath away. I feel stupid, and childish and eager all at once. Lifting my head up I scent the wind, looking for a familiar bay mare. If there is anyone who can help me fulfill my vow it is Joscelin. I make a silent wish that she is willing to help, and once I have found her I approach with a hopeful look on my face.

Joscelin? Do you have a minute?

ANGUISETTE
    the jungle princess

There's a song in your lung and a dream in your eye.

The red and white mare remembers her childhood with an uncommon clarity. She had had an incredibly happy home as a child. Loving, doting parents, a brother who could be easily persuaded into accompanying her on adventures, so many places to explore. It had been idyllic, really.

But then, when she had been about Anguisette’s age, everything had changed. She had made one of the most foolish mistakes of her life. A mistake that had ensured she would never be the same again, would never again get to experience those childish dreams and emotions. In her bright innocence and carefree youthfulness, she had made a decision to help a man with a mission. And the man had not been a kind.

She bears the reminders of that time forever etched into her skin. Dark fissures that score once smooth skin with stories of pain and horror and death.

She would not wish that fate upon anyone (well, that’s probably not entirely true – her worst enemies she might), especially not the smoky filly that reminds her so much of herself as a child. She isn’t surprised when the girl comes traipsing through the trees towards her. Anguisette seems to be everywhere. Joscelin can hardly turn around without bumping into her.

She rather enjoys it, actually. She had never realized how much she likes children, not until this one had come along, effortlessly charming her way into her affections. So as Anguisette approaches her with a hopeful expression on her dark features, Joscelin offers her a quick, encouraging smile.

”Hey kiddo. What’s on your mind?”

Joscelin

Tiphon x Elysteria

html c insane | picture c mikanicole.deviantart.com

I have rarely wondered at Joscelin's cracks of light. With the simplicity of childhood I have accepted everything I see. My mother's horns, Joscelin's lightning fissures, Rhy's transformations; these are the way of the world. But now as she greets me, and I return her smile with one of my own, I wonder if perhaps there is more to this bay mare than I have assumed. I am beginning to realize that there were stories before my own began. I have been selfish in the way of most children, involved in a world that is brand new and teaching me every day, concerned with how it all affects my small sphere. I resolve to change that. I cannot put myself first if I am to make any difference in the jungle.

And oh, how I want to do that.

I have heard the rumors of war, of raids and the need to be vigilant. My youth will not save me if the time comes when our home is attacked, and I refuse to hold my mother back. She will need to concentrate on the jungle as a whole. An ill-equipped daughter is the last thing she needs.

I give Joscelin a troubled look, unsure of how to phrase my request. In the end I decide to just talk, letting the words tumble forth like a waterfall.

I want to fight. I mean, I want to learn to fight, to take care of the jungle and mother and everyone. Not that mother needs taken care of, but I don't want her to worry about me. I thought maybe, well, you beat Killdare and he was awfully strong. D'you think you could train me? I know you're so busy. I didn't know who else to ask.

I had thought of Rhy, briefly, but the mare intimidates me. We share a love of the Jungle and a desire to assist the Khaleesi, but she does not strike me as warm or forgiving if I should make mistakes. When I will make mistakes. I don't think I could admit those feelings out loud to anyone, though. I am quickly learning that growing up means keeping some thoughts to yourself.

It is strange for me, when I have been so used to simply saying what I think or feel. Navigating the world seems like such a large task.

I turn my attention back to Joscelin, and dip my head, adding with a pleading tone. “I know I'm awfully young, but I will do the best I can.

Briefly it occurs to me that perhaps I should have spoken to my mother first, but I think she will understand and even approve. Lagertha admires strength and I want her to see that in me.

ANGUISETTE
    the jungle princess

There's a song in your lung and a dream in your eye.

It is the curse of all children, to be born with such youthful naivety that blinds them for a time to the trials of the world around them. Certainly Joscelin had been so when she had been a child. But then the eyes begin to open and the world is seen in a truer fashion. The tragic realities surrounding them begin to intrude upon the childish happiness, teaching the young that the world is not rose-colored. For some, this takes longer. But for others, for the less fortunate ones, this happens early in life and is almost always accompanied personal tragedy.

In many respects, Anguisette is fortunate that such has yet to befall her. And perhaps it never would (one might hope, though this is so rarely the case). For her part, Joscelin would do everything she could to ensure that girl before would not suffer the same fate as she had. True, she had survived, come out stronger for it even, but at what cost?

Anguisette’s question surprises, causing her small head to lift slightly as her golden gaze scrutinizes the young girl intently. She could well understand the desire to learn. Especially her desire to learn of battle, given the proclivities of the Jungle. No, that is not what had startled her. What did surprise her though, is that she had come to Joscelin for mentoring.

It is true Joscelin had won the battle against Killdare, proving that her instincts are sharp and that she has a natural knack for the art of war. But she is hardly experienced. She would need more battles under her belt for that.

She considers the smaller filly for a long moment before speaking.

”I don’t have any doubt you would do well, and I would be happy to teach you what I know. But it’s actually not much. I’m not nearly as experienced as some of the other women here. So why me?”

As soon as the words are out of her mouth, she realizes how harsh the question might have sounded. She doesn’t wish to discourage the girl. Hastily, she continues.

”We could mock.”

Joscelin

Tiphon x Elysteria

html c insane | picture c mikanicole.deviantart.com

I'm sorry this took so long :/