• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

shine on you crazy diamond; Hestia/Any

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

It was a long walk home, but Fennick didn’t mind. Night had long since fallen, and the black lord had become part of the night. Just another shadow in the dark. Even at the base of the mountain, he could see the Valley’s cosmic fire. Their all encompassing barrier. It had drawn closer and closer the higher they climbed, and finally they were at its base.

Fennick’s tattoo tingled in response, and the stallion grinned. The wall recognized him.

He looked over at Hestia, and for the briefest moment a look of concern flitted over his face. Would she burn? Not according to Demian’s rules. Not if she had good intent. Still, he had not tested it yet. Hestia had the dubious honor of being the first, the first to trust her life to his clumsy hands.

Would she live to regret it? Fennick groaned inwardly. Boy, did he hope not. He tried to plaster a look of confidence on his face and looked down at her.

“Well,” He said cheerily. “this is it.” Fennick could have sworn the wall burned a little brighter then. Was it beckoning them? Or was it warning them away? Fennick looked sideways at his companion and spread a giant black wing out over her back. It probably wasn’t necessary, if she was marked to burn she would burn beneath his wing just as easily as she would without it. Still, it made him feel a little less like an executioner. The wall would know he had invited her, for all the good it would do.

“Did I mention this?” He asked, again feinting confidence.

“This is our insurance policy. Sure beats a security guard, huh? Just follow me through, and you’ll be fine.” Again, he couldn’t be sure about that. He did, however, hope it was true. What was that saying?

The road to hell is paved with good intentions?

Well, if he was going he might as well deserve it. Carefully, Fennick stepped through the wall. He felt the fire lick across him. He felt it recognize him, and then he felt it caress him. The wall liked Fennick, for it knew he lived for the Valley. He just hoped it looked at Hestia with similar kindness.  

Fennick
    Whale and Rea's crazy diamond

the cat and the fiddle

She looks from one side of the trail to the other. The old thorny path that had led her to this very place so long ago. She moves with the shadows stepping through the trees and grasses with a grace that only an amazonian princess could posess. The feeling of serreal uphoria posess her with a peaceful expectancy. Communing with the land around her she can feel it respond and sway welcoming her tread as she passes. She had always, and would always feel that this secret of Beqanna belonged solely to her. The land had lived longer than her, seen more than her, had seen every secret and whispering shadow that had ever passed her way, and still it accepted her, still it chose her to whisper sweet nothings to. It was what she loved, and it was her that it loved back. A light breeze carresses her as she snakes her way in the shadows. An ocational moon beam glints off her shadowed coat, though it passes with a gentle kiss to her skin. There had been only one mark to her body that had caused the sway of the earth to comunicate with her, the bloody rose sitting tucked in the grooves of her breast. She had always been one to hide it, not wanting to flaunt her herritage, but when grasses were not tall and there was no bushes or shadows to hide in, she was sure that others would eventually notice. It was a mark that burned her mother forever into her memory. A mark that bore much shame and darkness, as it brought happiness and companionship.

Looking up the hill she spots the barrackade of glowing orange. Her heart sings as she watches it dance and ebb, calling out to it she whispers under her breath "I've come home dear one." She is reminded that there is another being present when her thoughts are brought back to reality. Her hide quivers with excitement at the first glimpse of her home. Yes this time would definately be different. It was calling out to her, and this time she wasn't alone. Listening to his soft baratones she abscent mindedly lets a smile slip through the stone features. "Its beautiful" She whispers next to him in a hushed tone, almost afraid to break the spell the land had put her under.

Were her sins finally forgiven? Was she finally allowed a passage of peace in her life? Even if this magical moment would be short lived she would cherish it forever. The land knew her agony and had found it in its heart to welcome her one last time.

Stepping forward she senses a strong warmth envelope her and leans toward it, with a sigh she turns her glistening eyes to the stallion next to her. For a moment the flames dance in her eyes and her soul is laid bare for anyone to see, she realizes that the warmth was him, and the strength of the muscles that she was leaning against tugged at her heart. Though as if drunk the full impact of what was happening didn't quite hit her yet. Was she safe? Something in the back of her mind whispered that she was, that this moment was right. That him next to her was perfect. Relaxing into him she says "shall we?"

When they do step forward she embraces the flames rubbing her head against them, giggling as they tickle her and hug her. Kissing her skin with their warmth. Like little sprites they dance around these two, talking to them in their on way welcoming the pair as they were. She felt something ignite within her self, something welling in her chest "I love you too" She whispers to the heat, before turning her attention to the man at her side.

She couldn't be happier than standing here in this heat with someone that was... touching her? She looks into his face vulnerable, maybe a little frightened. Someone was touching her. Someone that was not... for a moment the smile fell and shadows overtook her. Was this the end of the the lands reprieve of the torture that she endured? Her breathing quickened. The creatures mouth fell open. Thoughts race through her mind incoherrantly so that she didn't notice when they stepped to the other side of the flames.

She looked up at him a part of her hoping that the embrace would never end. That she could feel this warmth and companionship for the rest of her life. Well she wouldn't be the one to pull away, she was sure of that. "So this is your home." Was it a question? Or was it just stating the obvious? She wasn't sure what she was trying to communicate to him.

Hestia

jumped over the moon

Fennick liked the flames. He didn’t realize that the wall could be fun. Through the flickering world of fire he looked for Hestia’s face, and his own broke into a beam when he saw she was smiling.

Thank god. He wouldn’t be presenting his home to a charred corpse.

That would really, really ruin his day, and certainly her’s as well. Fennick was tempted to stay in the fire wonderland for a while longer. Perhaps they could frolic in it? Would doing so undermine the gravity of its purpose? He wasn’t sure. Certainly, Demian hadn’t intended his grand sacrifice as amusement for his högerhand. Reluctant, Fennick stepped from the flames, and smiled in farewell as they slipped off his hide.

After being submerged in a world of light, the night around them seemed very dark. Fennick blinked a little, hoping to speed along his night vision. Harmless bits of flame clung to his inky feathers, so he shook his body violently, flapping his great wings once to remove the hanger ons. As always, Fennick forgot the size of his wings, and suddenly the grass nearly ten feet around them was flattened in the wake of the almighty whoosh of his wing beat. The stallion hastily refolded them, and shot Hestia a slightly sheepish look. Oops. In response to her question he recomposed himself and nodded.

“This is it.” He murmured softly, his night vision kicking in to make more and more of it visible. His expression changed to one of hopefulness.

“Yours too, if you want it to be.” The stallion grinned lopsidedly. The Valley had done a lot for him, sharing that felt right and natural. Besides, she had already passed their first test. She hadn’t even been singed a little bit. He looked her over, and saw no charred hair or burned mane.

“The wall certainly thinks you’re here to stay.” Another smile. He couldn’t really be sure what what the wall thought, or if it thought at all. He just had a feeling in his bones. He didn’t pretend to understand magic, but he understood the Valley, at least as well as a mortal man could understand something as old as time.

Hey, it was a start.

In the inky blackness the wall was nearly the only thing that was visible. Deeper into the Valley were the main herd lands, the popular gathering places that were worn smooth by hundreds of years of hooves marching back and forth. He would like to show them to her. Although, since he could barely see himself, there wouldn’t be much showing to be done until morning.

“It’s more interesting in the daylight, I promise.” Their walk here had taken a long time, and the walk up the mountain had left him a little breathless. Soon morning would come, and she could see the Valley as he loved it. Just when everyone was waking up, and the sun was slipping tantalizingly over the mountain.

Fennick
    Whale and Rea’s crazy diamond

the cat and the fiddle

She shivers at the rush of air that his wings cause, or was she shivering at the rush of electricity that she felt buzzing when his strength is revealed to her through the wing draped over her spine. With a giggle she steps lightly, dancing the flames off her own coat. Noticing a spark that had clung to his cheek, she brushes at it pausing when she sees how natural it had come to her. Feeling ackward, the mare also notices that it didn't help anything that she was still reaching out to him. Dipping her head she looks to the grass with embarrasment. When his reply comes, the voice soothes her to some extent.

She smiles up at him, scared, but hopeful. When something else catches her attention. What if... she looks around herself warily, "It could couldn't it." She replies with a soft meloncholy ring to her vocals. Were the others of her past still here? Did anyone even vagely remember the treachery... She had done the most dishonorable thing any horse could do to a kingdom. Abandonment. She had abandoned the amazons, the dale, the valley... now she wanted it back? What right did she have even considering such an option.

As if he could see the shadows that haunted her, the reassuring words almost brings tears to her eyes. Oh if he only knew. She was sure that he would turn and run as soon as he figured it out. That he would be embarrased having brought a traitor to this land. Well the land understood, would always understand. It could see everything, had seen everything that went down those days, and still it chose to welcome her... he was right, maybe there was a second chance for her after all. "It did didn't it." She shakes her head and her lashes flutter shut. "Yes, yes I think I would very much like to make this my home as well." A shadow nipped at her heel hissing at her, sending trills of shame through her spine.

She siddles closer to him taking comfort in his closeness, some reason the shadows didn't like this man, and Hestia had to admit, she liked that. She lets a shiver slide down her skin, it was chilly out tonight.

When he sparks up conversation again, she lets yet another smile slip through. Wow he should be given an award with the amount of expressions he was getting off her. "I always loved watching the sunrise anyways." Yes she could wait to move, in fact would be happy to not move away from him while enjoying the best moment of the day.

Her head tilts a little towards his, wondering just what he was thinking. She was almost about to ask when she bites her tongue. They had time. Besides she barely knew the guy. God she was acting like such a filly. Her tail switchs against her rump the back lash landing against him. Darn flies.

Hestia

jumped over the moon

I catch sight of Fennick entering the Valley with a girl and I stifle a sigh. Seriously. Is this guy an overachiever or what? Perhaps I'm feeling a bit guilty because I haven't visited the FIeld, but the way I see it, the Valley has always been here and always will be here and I'm not going to waste my time convincing anyone that this place is great.

I'll leave that to Fennick, our extremely capable wunderkind.

I rifle through Hestia's mind casually, picking out her thoughts with interest. Seems this one like to flit around a bit. A sordid history, lah dee dah, not uncommon. I grin a bit, the exhilaration from knowing rushing over me. Nothing, not water on a hot day or sex or any other sensual pleasure beats this mental one.

I know your secret, little girl I think, and don't think I won't use it if it benefits the Valley.

Abandoment can be rectified, of course, although I don't look kindly on it. But if done recklessly and repeatedly, the wall and the inhabitants will be less than kind. Still, forgiveness is a virtue the Valley possesses even if I do not and the land is our mistress.

Having gained the information I wanted, I move closer to the pair, coughing loudly.

"So sorry to interrupt your tryst, Fennick, but I thought I'd greet the new girl." I'm not entirely sure Fennick knew she was hitting on him, but he tends to be oblivious to such things I've noticed. I grin, wondering how soon it will be before reality hits him over the head.

"Hestia. I am Gallows. There's a little gray filly around here somewhere that's mine, as well, named Namaah. Welcome home to the Valley."

Gods, I really should try being nice more often. I bet it's a good look for me.

G A L L O W S
    We must all hang together or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

Fennick tended to exist in a place of perpetual confusion. Oh, there were moments of clarity, moments when things made sense. When he was fighting or when he was making decisions more important than whether his foot had just entered his mouth. In those rare moments, Fennick shown. Other times he stumbled and fumbled and got tongue tied.

Hey, everyone had their faults.

Still, there was something to be said for talking in the dark. He couldn’t constantly search Hestia’s face, he didn’t need to glance at her and then around, worried he was making too much eye contact or not enough. In the dark he had to relax, stay still, and just listen to her voice. It was a nice change. She did speak, and Fennick felt a growing contentment in his chest. She wanted to stay here, she felt it, that this place was special. Fennick sighed happily, he was proud, perhaps prouder than he had ever been, to have received the kindness that the Valley had given to him and pass it on to someone else. He looked down at her face, its contours muted in the dark.

“Well that’s good, because we have the best sunrises. Mountains on all sides you see. When the sun crests the peaks it seems like all the colors just spill in.” He was gushing, and he knew it. Luckily, Fennick’s coat and skin were dark enough that you couldn’t ever see him blush. It was a small, small blessing that he used to its full advantage. Hestia’s tail squished, smacking him on his haunches. Fennick grunted, as if he had been bitten by a horse fly, for it felt like he was. After a moment, being careful not to look at her, the large stallion stretched his huge wings, being very careful to buffet her as he extended them. A sneaky grin spread to his face, and he tried to suppress it.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” He said, and he didn’t sound very sorry at all.

“Did I get you there?” The grin crept a little wider, and he had to work to keep his innocent look from disappearing all together. That was when Gallows decided to turn up. The big stallion rolled his eyes inwardly, while his actual eyes stayed in their correct spots. Rather he imagined himself rolling his eyes. You had to love Gallows, she kept things interesting.

“Gallows." He said a little too brightly.

“Please, join us, come meet Hestia.” Fennick had a deep admiration, even bordering on genuine affection for Gallows. That being said, there were moments he wished to shove her off the nearest cliff. Rather than baiting her, thus undoubtedly adding to her fun, Fennick usually employed the “kill them with kindness approach.” He figured that would be the best way to ruin her good time. He looked between the mares.

“I’m glad you two got to meet. Hestia, Gallows knows more than anyone about the Valley. I’m sure she’d be a great mentor.” His statement, while true, left something to be desired. Gallows, while very knowledge, was also very sarcastic. However, she seemed to save most of her dastardly powers for Demian and himself. Hestia would probably make it through unscathed.

Fennick

the cat and the fiddle

She could stand here and listen to him gush all night and not get bored. "Well we can watch it together this morning. I'm sure its just as beautiful as you say." When she smacks the fly, then hears the grunt from him, her leafy pools widen with suprise. "Oops," It was hard to conceal the mirth under the reply. "There was a fly." She says in that girlishly innocent way.

Then the fun begins, and the black creature siddles a bit when the great wings are launched, with a bubbling laughter she attempts a teasing nip to the base of his neck. the shadows fading once more. "Maybe a little, though I guess I deser...." Her ears flick back at theh sound of another creature approaching.

When he speaks the new comers name, a film crosses her face. Yes the name did sound familiar. Though it would only be fair if the creature knew just how useless, that secret was. The only thing it would ever do is haunt Hestia. For she had not yet been initiated into the Valley, infact she was in the middle of attending the ceremony, when her mother had called her back to the Jungle. Though it was her mothers sole desire for her to tie herself to the Jungle, Hestia could not bring herself to do it. As much as she loved the land, and the people there, she felt that taking the easy road with everything being handed to her on a platter. It just was not something that she could do and still hold her head high. She wanted to forge her own path, and besides all that, the Jungle would have known that her heart truly laid in the Valley, and it would have never posessed her knowing that.

So when the time came and her family needed her again, after having worked in the Jungle as a diplomat, though never taking the title, she left once more. Saving her sister from a torturous situation, she had gaurded over her for the next couple of years, wandering the lands of Beqanna. When her sister decided to dissapear one night Hestia left, wanting to find her calling, so to speak. Until she found herself back in Beqanna, this time in the Dale. Meeting Erros had been the highlight of her life for that time. She was ready to give up, the black creature did not desire this life anymore. She had felt old and tired. Him, he brought her light and hope, he had dug into her, and been the friend that she never had, had. Always incouraging her, always there for her, and once again, just as her mother was leaving, so did he.

At that point she had lost everything she knew, and her new home, one that she had just been anitiated into was now being torn, and fought over. There was nothing left, her mother, her sister, her friend, and her home. All of them gone, so once more she took off from this place. Once more she traveled unknown lands. Once more she was finding herself back in Beqanna.

Now she was back in the home that had been attached to her soul since being a filly. Now she was standing beside a man that she counted as... no she couldn't call him that. It would only make him dissapear, just as everyone else had.

She could swear the gods had picked her to be the flag bearer of distruction. Where ever she went, so did death. He tagged along behind her like a lost puppy. Never taking her like she desired, just trailing her, and sucking the life out of everything around her. Anything that gave her hope, anyone that brought her happiness, anything that professed a soul, these shadows took from her. Would always take from her.

Though this felt different for some reason. Maybe... just maybe, this time fate would cut the leash, and let her have some peace. Had not the flames been a sign of that? They HAD welcomed her after all. She knew that she belonged here. Knew that no matter what, she would/had never desired to leave these lands. But family connections run strong, and their tung at her soul would forever keep her wandering. Leaving anything that she wanted when ever they called out for her. It was her curse. As as the daughter of Jadis, it was her duty to make sure that her family was safe.

"Thank you, Gallows, and how are you these days?" She was sure that she had meet the creature, was she not a filly at the time? "A daughter of your own, I'm sure that she's a sweet heart."

When Fennick proceeds to explain Hestia smiles up at him once more. She was sure that Gallows knew the place well, but something in his tone told her that he wasn't saying everything on his mind. Leaving her pondering his words. "Well I'm sure that you both can assist me greatly." She still wanted to see her old haunts with him. Still wanted it to be him to show her around. She longed for the company, but Gallows also had her intrigued.

She was sure that she could find a good friend in the woman, and definatly knew that she would be able to teach Hestia a lot. Or at least take of the rough edges that she had acquired in her time away, but she also knew when something felt right, you had to go with it.

Hestia

jumped over the moon
    v

I make a face at Fennick. Unwittingly he has chosen the best way to annoy me; being faux obliviously sweet. Really, it's not at all fair because that's one of the tools in my handbook, and I only like to use it on others, not have it used on me.

And if he wants to shove me off a cliff, I'd pull him down with me. We'd probably be the kind of pair that ends up having ridiculous adventures and bonds but still acts like we hate one another. Although let's be honest, I pretty much act like I hate everyone, so whose to tell?

I grin in pure amusement as Fennick does his nice boy routine. Of course I know a lot about the Valley, but did he have to use the word mentor? He might as well say I'm ancient.

Hestia, Fennick is politely telling you that I am very old. He's such a dear boy that way.

Oh dear Hestia, all of us carry death and destruction in our wake. Thankfully the Valley has a way of using those unwanted talents. If someone like Carnage couldn't run this place into the ground, I highly doubt a spurt of bad luck will be the straw. Still, I appreciate her unspoken concern and though she doesn't yet know I have a front row seat to her thoughts, I give her a warm albeit tinged with humor, smile. Of course you belong here. Where else do misfits go?

Not pregnant, I say. “And more than relieved about that. As for being a sweetheart, I hope so. I've decided to keep her anyways.” Very much a joke. I have a soft spot for my children. I add with a wry look, “I'll settle for her being less of a challenge than her brother was.

I glance over at Namaah who is shaking her wings and apparently trying to cause a dust cloud with her feeble flapping. Good lord. Children are ridiculous.

Well, new girl, what would you like help with? I'm afraid that there are some things I won't be abl to do for you, but I have a feeling Fennick will oblige.

I give the pair a teasing look. Hey, just because I'm a confirmed bachelorette doesn't mean I don't know about what goes on beneath the sheets.

G A L L O W S
    We must all hang together or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

Fennick, for all his attempts to turn the tide of events in his favor, was beginning to feel like everyone was in on a joke that he had just missed. Or, more accurately, that the joke was about him. Being around Gallows had a way of making that happen. He narrowed his eyes at the mare, as if that would cause her secrets to just spill out of her head and all over the grass.

“Oh no. I didn’t mean that you were so very old.” Fennick, being all of six years, was at the age where you knew you didn’t know everything (unlike teenagers) but you were old enough to think the things you didn’t know were out of date. Immortality unnerved him slightly. Damian was the same way. He always got the impression he was talking to someone his own age until their eyes took on an ageless, yet ancient quality that harkened back to a time when dinosaurs ruled the earth.

“Well, I’m sure she’ll take after her mother.” Fennick said, a little coyly. He’d never met Gallows’ son (though the guy seemed to hang around an awful lot), but if he was a handful Fennick had a few ideas where that had come from. Growing up with Gallows, in the Valley, it was almost certain that the little filly would be a unique character. 

Still, if Fennick didn’t know better, he would have a sworn that the girls were having a moment without him. He looked between Hestia and Gallows with a perplexed expression. Fennick had gotten the hang of talking in general. He could say well timed things and those things were only occasionally stupid. Talking to women was a whole different category of awkward. Sure enough, Gallows continued and again, he didn’t know what she was talking about. Still, he did know one thing.

“Hestia, her name is Hestia.” Fennick nodded smartly, as if he had done something clever. Still, Hestia was certainly better then “new girl.” If he couldn’t actively participate in their banter at least he could referee it. It was a valuable service, even if it wasn’t particularly wanted.  

Fennick

the cat and the fiddle

She looks from one to the other. Silently observing them. Her face stony, she then turns her attention to the horizon for a moment. It seemed to have a slight ting there that hadn't exsisted before.

Her ears swivel at the sound of the womans voice. Leafy pools softly blink, yes age, it had a way of sneaking up on people. Taking its time, and creating profiles that we would have never pictured for ourselves growing up. "Well if thats the case then I must be ancient." She chorkles to them. "Were you not just a filly still suckling at her mother when I last saw you?" She pauses for a moment. Unsure if her memory was infact serving her well, or if things were once more running together, fading into a colorful tapestry that made less and less sense as time went on. These thoughts and comments came with warmth, though still dark, she had distinctly remembered this one, thinking to herself that she would grow to be a important asset to the Valley one day. Never has she been wrong, but she could not be more right, then that day that she saw this little one.

She looks at the filly, almost with longing for her own. The thought is brandished immediatly from her mind, a burning seal shoving that way back in the dark shadows once more. Never would she raise a child, she had no desire to put a little one through what she had gone through. No, she was not the motherly figure, never would be. She knows from her own experience, the price of immortality. It was one thing that she would never want to place on her child. The only way that seemed possible, is if she never had one to begin with.

That alone had kept her away from any relationships in the past. Never has she been touched that way, hardly ever has she even flirted with the idea. She is always afraid of what would happen should she have a child of her own. Even if it was by accident.

She almost smiles, her eyes twinkling with glee, "She is a cutie regardless." She bends her head gently inviting the filly to interact, but not pressuring her to do so.

She askes Fennick more out of curiousity than anything else. "Do you have your own little ones?"

After some more banter her ears swivel, looking up at Fennick wide eyed, and thoughtful. She doesn't know what to say, or do for that matter. It had completely taken her by suprise. Someone had defended her. Someone had... She bites her lip for a moment, standing rigidly in place. She is sure that she is putting him off, almsot certain that she is giving off every negative vibe possible. How to react to that. Part of her wanted to scream. I'm an independant woman, and I sure as hell don't need any help from you for my honor. While another part of her, a deeper, more delicate part wanted to sink into him and be wrapped up in his wings, wanted to thank him and kiss him for the thought. No matter how small it was.

Before she realized what had happened, she found that she had shifted her weight back so that her side could brush him. "Well with how long its been since I have had any training, maybe you could assist me with brushing up some of my skills?"

Her heart was acking, for some strange reason that she couldn't fathom, had she just... nawww. She swore she never would, but... she couldn't help but wonder if he had just captured her heart in that moment. Ignoring it she swishes her tail against her legs thoughtfully.

Hestia

jumped over the moon