• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

le moins aimé; Gryffen

Minette's foray into the Meadow had proven lacking in companionship yet she had enjoyed every moment of her freedom. The accompaniment of the shadow raven had dampened her spirits not at all, but as time passed, she knew she could not avoid the inevitable any longer. Gryffen would be expecting her. The baby would be coming soon.

Her steps were resolute as she walked across the border into the cold mountain air. Even with spring arriving, this place was damp and permeated with a chill. Gryffen did not appear. It wasn't long after her homecoming that her labor began.

In the afternoon, discomfort began in her stomach, and she was restless. By nightfall, discomfort had turned to pain and she walked to relieve the aches she felt. Her contractions consumed her attention and for the first time she felt comfort knowing Gryffen was nearby. He would not allow Minette to become prey while she labored.

If he ventured too close, however, she shrieked and stomped the ground, her eyes wide and her body tense.

Instinct was her teacher. The pale gray mare remembered nothing of her mother's labors, and she had never before had a child. But at each step, that ancient voice pushed and prodded. She knew she needed to be alone, and she knew that walking would ease the child's way.

She couldn't wrap her head around the fact that a baby would be appearing. It took all her concentration to make it through as each wave consumed her body, and she had little energy left to think about what would happen once the child was here.

Her child and Gryffen's.

Exhaustion overwhelmed Minette and yet the hardest work was to come. She whuffed, and felt liquid trickle, and then gush from between her legs. She collapsed to the ground, lying on her side. Long moments passed, but Min did not give up. Her whole being was consumed with pushing.

So focused was she that when the baby slipped into the world without a cry, Minette was surprised. She  lifted her head from the ground and nudged the still form, pulling the caul away.

The moment between birth and her baby's first breath seemed like an eternity.

But finally, finally, the little one gasped and coughed. Both mother and foal lay back and breathed.

Early dawn arrived and found the mother and daughter pair standing shakily. The girl was tiny, and quiet, suckling persistently. Her legs seemed impossibly long for her size, and she was colored a smoky black, a stark contrast to Minette's light form.

When the raven had taken flight to follow the little minnows adventure, he had quietly pursued it. Little did she know that he had watched from the shadows of the Meadow’s woods, the winter landscape and protection of shadows easily camouflaging him from her view. It didn’t seem like she would have noticed, so enraptured by her false sense of freedom to even suspect that he was stalking her. As if he would let her out of his sight and mingle freely with others. It was somewhat disappointing that she hadn’t been approached by anyone. He had been looking forward to an encounter, to wipe the smile off her face once more. To tauntingly lure someone into her only to steal her away. For she was his and would always be his, no matter where she went and what she thought.

Soon enough, he is quietly following her home. As soon as they had crossed the border, the shadow bird left Minette’s shoulder and sought out it’s master. Talons find it’s usually perch, clawing into the scarred shoulder. He leaves her for a moment to sate his thirst and appetite. He knows he will not sleep tonight, knows he will be watching her. For he can sense her unease, had noticed the way she winced with internal pain on their way home. The child was coming.

It’s not long before he is in view of the pacing mare, his red eyes watching her intently. She is in the throws of an internal and ancient struggle and he watches her with silent intensity. Birth interested him as much as death did. The two were tied to each other. He thinks of the homeless mare he lured from the meadow who met her agonizing death at Cellar’s hands…at his command. And now new life, life he had created, would be arriving. Strange the way that worked out. He knows she can see him, that he’s there. He doesn’t try to approach, a mere adjustment of stance making her scream at him in panic. It’s the only time he will allow her to scream at him, keep him away. She would pay for it later. But he is eager for this child. Gryffen has had many children before but none that he really cared about. This time he had plans for his children. He would mold them into something, use them to his advantage, create his own lasting legacy that would make sure the world never forgot him.

The night wanes on but the moon refuses to show. Still he watches over them, listens to the pained grunts from Minette as she struggles to push out the child. Every now and then as she pauses for breath, he whiskers softly. A sign that she was not alone, that he was still there. There’s no warmth or love in his call but a simple understanding that they are protected. Nothing will harm what is his. His ears prick forward, hearing the noises of Minette moving and the sounds of labor had ebbed away. The ghost in the darkness stands over them all night, red eyes blazing. By dawn he can finally see what he has created. The child is suckling from her mother who looks beyond exhausted. It’s coat is darker than both of theirs combined and for a moment he wonders if it isn’t his… If someone had snuck in during the brief time he had left her alone. The ravens would have told him, would have warned him. No… This is his. Minette might try to chase him away but this time he would bare his teeth with a cold glare. It was time for him to meet his child. Red eyes look over the filly with a hint of disappointment. ”A girl.” He states quietly. Of course he would rather a boy but girl’s are not completely useless. He can use her. ”Her name?” He asks Minette, now directing his attention to the shaky mare. This time, she can choose.

Gryffen
    - - - - -
    The Big Bad Wolf

I don't know very much, but I can see a lot of things.

Like the way mama tenses up when the white stallion appears. His footsteps distract me from my meal.

And the way he looks at her like he would tear her apart and put her together again like a doll.

And the way my skin heightens in anticipation of something, but what? I am not sure.

His eyes, red and frightening, meet mine. I squeal, my mother's tension finding an outlet through my own voice. After a moment, however, even tension becomes routine when it is all you know, and I resume suckling. She smells so good, my mama. Sweet and warm and gentle.

When I am finished they are still facing one another, saying words I am not much interested in. At least, not until I hear my name, in mama's soft, musical tones.

"Anguisette."

I perk my ears and nicker softly, looking from one to the other. Mother gives me milk. What does this other one do? He is big and white and scary. Maybe he chases away those black feathers that are always around? I nip at a feather on the ground near mother's hooves and grasp it firmly between my teeth. It tickles. I try out a trot, misjudging and tumbling gracelessly into the stallion. The feather is lost, and I lay on my side with a surprised look. My feet are not yet predictable.

ANGUISETTE
    daughter of Gryffen and Minette

She knew he would come, but she'd hoped for more time.

The whisper of an idea had been flitting about in the back of her mind, but she needed time. Time to flesh out the details and time to gather courage. But looking at Anguisette… that was where her moment of bravery would come from.

The girl is infinitely more precious to her than she would have believed. Minette had never thought she might love the child of such a violent encounter, but she did. And she felt that she would suffer a thousand more of such punishments to keep Anguisette from ever knowing the domination and fear that Min does.

He does not seem pleased at the birth of a girl. Min halfheartedly tosses her head to send him away, but she knows he will not go. He bares his teeth and glares, and the pale mare dips her head in obedience.

"Our daughter." Minette offers quietly, feeling the need to remind Gryffen that his claim is not the only one. She watches her daughter nurse, wincing a bit as the filly tugs eagerly. Minette is grateful she is eating well. "She will lighten. All children of my family start life as dark as night and then change as they grow older."

Exhaustion turns Minette's voice shaky, but she does not feel the full effects just yet. Her wariness of her stallion keeps her on edge. 

"Anguisette."

She responds to her name, the child. Brown eyes light up eagerly, before she becomes distracted and noses amongst the raven's leavings. Minette watches warily as she picks up a feather and stumbles into Gryffen. The pale mare steps forward, close enough to interfere if the stallion reacts in a way that does not suit the mother. Instinct to protect and a fierce love for her baby are what give Minette her courage.

She knows that this will not last.

She wishes she could snap a hateful 'now what?' at him, and she is surprised at herself. Perhaps her ordeal has shaved off some of the veneer of politeness. Minette shakes her head, and ventures a question.

"She won't, you won't be taking her to the Chamber yet?"

It is a question that she wants the answer to, and yet dreads. The baby is too young yet, although Minette knows that someday Gryffen will want to mold their daughter into something of his choosing. The pale gray mare will do everything in her power to thwart him. Her daughter deserves something better, and Min would sacrifice anything for that chance.

Children are all fools when they were born. He had once been a fool, a very angry little fool created from a sick love that should have never existed. Kennedy and Cross’s fickle relationship had been tempered with passion, anger, jealousy, and hate. How could he have ever turned out as anything else? Kennedy had even dumped him in the Den right after birth only to spirit away another foal to take his place. And to add salt to the wound, decided to keep his full blooded brother as if he was worthy of all things Gryffen was not. But Kennedy paid for it all, for her terrible mothering skills and the fact that she had brought him into this world. Cross at least tried to give him something but his father was preoccupied and ready for death by the time son reunited with father. So Kennedy suffered and he is pleased to think that what he did may have played a part in her death. Minette would be sick with revulsion if he knew what he had done to her, what he had done to many since then.

His daughter is filled with a fool’s curiosity, unsure about her own father but unable to draw herself away from the raven’s feathers. She stumbles into him, her frail body bouncing off her own. The raven on his shoulder flutters it’s wing in disapproval but the ghost doesn’t move. As she lays sprawled on the ground, he lowers his head so his red eyes meet the girls. ”I’m your father, Gryffen.” He would not let Minette fill his own child with fear of him. If he was to use her as he wanted, she needed to respect him. Not fear him. ”Anguisette…Do you like ravens?” He asks quietly, the bird on his shoulder hopping down and bouncing at her feet. Perhaps it would keep her amused while he spoke to her mother.

”Strange name.” He muses to the mare, not liking the way it felt in his mouth. Awkward and clumsy. Minette’s worried question only causes him to chuckle. ”No, not yet. She’s far too young and has much to learn before she goes to the Chamber. I may take her just so she can see what it looks like… So Straia and the others can meet her. But she will live here for now.” He knows that his minnow won’t like that answer, that one day he will take the child from her. He suspects that her little mind is whirling with ways to keep her from him. A low growl rumbles in his chest, crimson gaze locked on hers as he steps close to her and presses his muzzle to her neck. ”Don’t worry sweet minnow, there will be plenty more children.”

Gryffen
    - - - - -
    The Big Bad Wolf

My father? I wrinkle my nose in confusion and scramble to my feet. All I know about are mamas. They feed you and tell you no and play with you. What are fathers for?

He is serious but he does not scare me, this large white stallion. He smells different, but not unpleasant. For all I know, red eyes and ravens are normal for every foal. My world is very small. Mama does not seem pleased with him but I whuff into his nose, a playful greeting. His question-father's question- takes me by surprise. Do I like ravens?

"Yes." I respond seriously, after a little deliberation. "I like the things with wings."

The bird does not seem to mutually share my fascination. I bend my head down and push my nose forward a bit, breathing softly onto the fur. No, feathers. Its feathers are so black they are almost purple, and its eyes meet mine, unafraid.

Are there more creatures like this in the world? Am I going to meet them all?

For a little while I am content to tease the bird, watching her wings flare and respecting the reach of her wickedly sharp beak. But eventually, the voices of my parents register in my ear.

I look up from the bird and glance at my father again, his conversation with my mama leaving me a bit unsettled. They do not seem happy. Perhaps mama does not like feathers like father and I do? I come closer, bored of being excluded, and nudge father.

"What do you do? Mama feeds me." I interrupt their conversation, following my earlier train of thought. Rude is not a concept I understand. "Can you talk to the birds?"

ANGUISETTE

She looks over at her daughter, entranced with the raven's movements. Minette snorts, not altogether pleased at Gryffen's choice of playmate. The bird seems unimpressed, but its talons are sharp.

"I call her Sette." Minette offers tonelessly. She is grateful that he allowed her the choice of name, and she will not apologize for it now. She will not tell him, but Anguisette was the name of her sister. A shadowy, delicate figure she remembers in bits and pieces, but never enough to satisfy. Min hopes that family will come again to her mind but a part of her wonders if perhaps the past is more painful than her present.

There is a pause as the parents watch their child. Minette would normally wait for Gryffen to begin speaking, but she has questions that she wants answered without little ears about. His response about the Chamber did not calm her worries.

"Will you give her a choice, or is she to be your pawn without any say, as I am?" Minette asks. Her tone borders on disrespectful, but she cannot seem to contain it. Perhaps it is the exhaustion of childbirth, or the many months without a visit from Gryffen. Whatever it is, the pale gray mare feels bolder. "Will she be allowed to know her mother even after-if you take her?"

Minette shudders at the mention of more children and glares at him darkly. Her voice is so soft that Gryffen would need to strain to hear, but she has no doubt he will. "You will fight for the children you wish to put in my womb. I will not accept them willingly"

The words are out of her mouth before she can recall them, but there is relief and desperate fear in them. She cannot win a battle with him, but she has no plans to make his conquest easy. Her foray in the Meadow, and the things she's learned, have given her a measure of strength. She has no hope for herself. But perhaps she has much for her daughter.

This will not be her life. Minette thinks.

ooc: I figured Anguisette's question can come after gryffen and Min talk, and you can feel free to play Sette and have her flit off after her question is answered. ;-)

The bird is a rather decent babysitter although it doesn’t look very amused to be pushed, prodded, and breathed on by the little foal. It’s wings flare with slight annoyance but it sticks around as it was told to do. The grownup conversation continues. He’s starting to get irritated with the twenty one questions. Little fish shouldn’t be concerned with the doings of wolves. ”She will grow up and make her own choices but I just make sure they are the right ones.” He snaps, his tone letting her know that he was done answering her questions. He doesn’t care if the girl visits her mother as long as she is doing what she’s suppose to do. He knows he has to play the girl differently then the way he pulls the strings of her mother.

His teeth graze almost playfully against her neck, low laughter mumbling into her skin that would more than likely chill her to the bone. Fight to put his seed in her? ”I wouldn’t have it any other way little minnow.” If the child wasn’t there, he would mount her now. Just to remind her how things went and who exactly was in charge here. Teeth close against the flesh of her shoulder, a hard chomp that lingers before he pulls away. Don’t you dare try to pull the wool over my eyes girl.

His daughter is talking now and his crimson eyes fall on her, his child that likes the things with wings. The raven has hopped onto the girl’s back, realizing it might be safer there but the talons don’t close on the filly’s skin as it does with it’s father. It knows better. ”I watch over you.” He answers plainly, children's questions were usually such tedious things. There’s really no other purpose he serves for her besides creating her and watching her. The ghost in the darkness, gently prodding and pushing her to make the choices he wants for her. His tail snaps against his haunches, considering her quietly for a moment. ”Only that one. But my Queen can talk to all of them. Would you like to meet her?” Shooting a look at Minette, almost daring her to try and stop him from taking her to the Chamber. Every child is curious and he would play on her curiosity. Let Minette look like the mean parent, stopping Sette’s adventures with her father. It would serve his purpose just fine.

Gryffen
    - - - - -
    The Big Bad Wolf

I am captivated by the bird with black feather wings. I wonder if I could have wings, too? I cock my head, almost missing my father's response to my question. The answer makes little sense to me. What does he need to watch me for? Where will I go?

At my father's question, I light up, my ears perked. I send a cautious glance to my mother, who is very still and distracted. I frown slightly, but my eagerness overcomes my worry and I nudge her side.

"Oh yes, please, maman?" I beg, my body wiggling with excitement. "I'd like to meet the lady who has the birds. Say yes, please?"

My mother walks closer, whuffing gently into my ear so that I giggle. And then she nuzzles me, whispering softly.
    "Of course, darling. Mind your father, and stay close to him. Je t'aime petit."

I miss the dark look and words she gives my father, because I am too excited for my adventure.

"Come on, father!" I nicker, stamping my foot impatiently.
    The world is a big place and I want to explore it all.

ANGUISETTE

The small gray mare regrets her words as soon as they leave her mouth. She has played into his hands. Gryffen would like nothing better than to remind her of all the ways in which he owns her. His impatient tones shut down the conversation, unsettling her.
    His laughter, however, is worse. It makes her sidestep nervously, but his teeth find purchase on her shoulder. Minette bites back a squeal, and dips her head, hoping a show of submission will appease him. She has not yet thought of how she will keep him from giving her more children. Her mind is filled with the daughter in front of them. She has a growing hope for her, that will mean both joy for her child and darkness for herself.

Gryffen turns his attention to Anguisette, and quickly enraptures her. Minette catches a glimpse of the charmer he could be, and shakes her head.

Minette knows the battle is lost when she sees the shining look in her daughter's eyes. For all the world, she would keep her safe, but she realizes that in this moment it is safer if the wolf cares for his child. He will have his way in the end, and Minette would prefer not to appear as if she hates Gryffen as much as she does.

She caresses the child and whispers softly to her, knowing that the white stallion will hear.

"Of course, darling. Mind your father, and stay close to him. Je t'aime petit."

Anguisette dances with joy, and Minette throws Gryffen a dark look. Her eyes follow the happy movements of their child, but her voice is shaking as she says, "And so you have your way, once again."

She will wait for him to leave, carrying her heart with her, and then Minette will try to find the courage she needs to save her child.