• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  Make the Devil go Weak

can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars,
    I could really use a wish right now;

She offers him a small smile through the dark, but does not say anything in response to his comment about not holding his breath. She does not like to admit that she has little faith. The world has never been kind to her and she had no reason to believe it was kind to anyone else. She thinks it is completely possible that his shifting is lost forever, along with the sun. She has seen the world unravel so many times, taking her hope with it. She can feel the same tides of negativity and despair begin to rise up in her chest again, and though she hasn’t entirely mastered her new skill she somehow manages to push it back down, enough so that when she refocuses on the stallion she does not feel like she is about to fall apart.

She has a feeling that he is not the kind to take pity on those with weak minds and soft spines, and she does not want to give him a reason to leave her here.

There is a heat that flushes her cheeks at his sarcasm-tinged comment, and her eyes flit away from his face, though with all of the dark between them it is not entirely necessary. “It’s a new….gift.” Her weight shifts, looking again to the faint halo that rests in the sky—as though she has expected it to move even though it’s clear it will not. “I can’t control it. I pick up on things without meaning to. Like the fact that you were irritated at not being able to shift back.” She finds herself worrying at the inside of her cheek, suddenly incredibly self-conscious for having revealed anything at all. She has always been painfully soft-spoken and shy, and it was rare for her to offer anything about herself to anyone.

She can sense that he wants to be irritated by her confession, but thanks to the perfect storm of chaos happening around them he seems to choose to let it slide.
    This only allows her to feel slightly better, and she still finds herself wishing she could take it all back; that she had not mentioned anything at all.

“Maybe so,” she agrees gently, though she doesn’t entirely believe him. She is certain he would rather be trapped with quite literally anyone besides her.

He asks her if she was meeting anyone, and she shakes her jade-colored head, her pale forelock shifting to momentarily reveal the stark white four-point star centered on her forehead. “No. I didn’t intend to come here at all. And if it weren’t for the dark I wouldn’t have approached you at all either, wolf or not.” Her smile flattens into a thin line, as if to say it is what it is. It was unlike her to seek out company, to offer herself up for rejection, or worse, another attack. Under normal circumstances she would have noted that it seemed odd that she could detect emotions in a wolf, would have catalogued that information away for the next time she came across a shifter, and she would have moved on.

But she is watching him with curiosity still evident in her brown eyes, an indicator that she, personally, did not mind that the supernatural had forced them together this way. “You said earlier that you don’t mingle. So I’m assuming you were not waiting for anyone?”

I'm praying that this stairway leads somewhere like Heaven's door,
    and when you get there don't look down

evenstar

@[Crevan]