• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

love is a temporary madness... {diplomats, any}
    love is a temporary madness...
    The day is pleasantly warm with clouds thickly dotting the sky. Though the breeze is relatively still, her motion through air creates a wind of its own. With her long, black tresses whipping against her shoulder, she makes her way unerringly north. Though the trek to the Chamber is short even if one must walk, it is made even shorter given the fact that she can fly. Though no wings adorn her, she cuts through the air as easily as a bird. Setting a somewhat leisurely pace, she watches in interest as the landscape slowly becomes less mountainous, giving way to milder slopes covered in pine trees.

As she nears the area she knows to contain the border of the kingdom, she descends easily to the ground. She had not been flying high, just enough to skim the tops of the trees and hills, so her descent is quite swift. Landing gently onto the needle littered earth, she inhales deeply of the scent of pine. A soft smile touches her lips as she does so. She has never before had the opportunity to visit to Chamber. She does rather enjoy such novel experiences. Her age does not allow for many of them anymore.

Stepping forward, she lets out a call, asking for those of the diplomatic contingent. She is fairly certain she has not passed beyond their borders, or if she has, it is not far. Waiting quietly where she had landed, her russet gaze scans the surrounding landscape, curiosity evident in those bright depths.
    elysteria
    image c nadyabird.deviantart.com; html c Insane

There is nothing more homely, safe, like the scent of pine and earth. The Chamber has become to me, like a second skin, like the need to breathe air, the want for the earthy dirt beneath my feet, the crunch of pine needles. I need the chamber, like the sun needs the sky, the moon needs the night. And it has become part of me, like the twigs and the burrs that braid my gossamer mane.

The idle afternoon is blissful, the sunlight comes like spires through the thickened summer foliage, pierces through the darkness of the boundary, and kisses my golden coat with a gentle touch. Warmth, it knits between my sinew and bone and fills me with the sense of satisfaction that not only have I a home, but a purpose, a meaning to life. Something my mother had never truly had (of which she claimed much, but knew was not true.) My crown lifts, hearing the swirling of the deadened leaves, the scent of another soon flutters against my nostrils. I inhale, deeply, and mixed with the familiar scent of pine is something new, something wild, free. My hindlegs spur me on, my powerful haunches pushing me out of the copse of trees at a steady canter, rhythmic and smooth. Sapphire eyes look about the clearing, finding not a single shadow cast, then my eyes turn towards the heavens and there, is the stranger. A proverbial brow is lifted and a glimmer of curiosity and intrigue sparkles in my gemstone eyes.

When she lands, I sidle up towards her, flinty hooves breaking a crescendo against the needled earth. I whicker, a voice as darkly seductive as the smooth shadows, swirled with a brewing pot of magic. Sultry and smooth. 'That is quite an entrance.' I remark, eyes gliding over her russet bay form. She was rather a specimen of beauty, someone my mother would have liked, as always to her, appearances meant everything. Well, she turns in her grave now, for my glimmering coat now had a sheen of ash and dirt. Still leggy, still beautiful, but not as well kept as I had been once before.

'You have reasons behind this visit, no? For I have not seen you grace these borders before.' My gilt ears swivel atop my crown, gossamer threads languid against my neck as I weave a few steps around her, perhaps considered predatory, but more so just a curious examination. she knew something, this stranger, for she did not cross the borders of a land she did not wish to interrupt. A smooth, debonair smile, all diplomacy, all black magic, weaves itself at my lips. 'I'm Engelsfors.'

Why is it that when diplomats start coming, they come in droves? It’s not just one kingdom that sets out, but half of Beqanna. The only new throne was in the Dale, so Straia isn’t surprised that one of their diplomats ends up on their border. The ravens had been tracking the flying horse. Horse, because this one didn’t have wings, and the ravens were endlessly confused as to how one can fly without wings. Straia was sort of amused at this ruckus over this newfound trait. But mostly, she didn’t feel like playing diplomat.

But needs must, and all that. The ravens had told her the Dale was slightly less dead than it had been before. Not much, but slightly.

She makes her way through the pine forests toward the diplomat. She could fly, of course, but flying when your kingdom was surrounded by pine forests was actually quite useless. Besides, Straia preferred to walk here. She loved the feel of the pine branches as they caresses her skin, loved to brush against the bark as she moved. She could imagine no other life than this, one in service to the pine forests that have given her so much.

Engelsfors was already there, greeting the newcomer politely enough. Straia slides in next to the golden diplomat with a nod of her head. “I’m Straia, Queen of the Chamber,” she offers. In diplomatic meetings, she never beats around the bush with titles. It’s useful to know who the hell you are talking to. “What can we do for you?”  

straia

the raven queen of the chamber

image © Squirt
    She is not left to wait long. Almost as soon as her dull hooves touch the earth, a mare of golden hue is approaching her. Bright russet eyes turning her direction, Elysteria offers a genuine smile of greeting. She is nothing if not warm and open. It has always been her way. The mare glides easily over the pine needles, her smooth voice offering a lilting greeting. She comments on her flight (or, more specifically, her landing, she supposes). Dipping her head slightly in response, she offers a brief rejoinder.

“I hope that I did not startle you.”

The mare continues easily, clearly unfazed by Elysteria’s unique talents. As she speaks, she takes several steps around her, curiosity evident in her blatant gaze. The red mare’s own russet eyes follow her, a matching curiosity hidden within their brilliant depths. The woman is smooth tongued, clearly an accomplished diplomat. Elysteria responds to her words with an easy smile. Though no doubt less polished, she is no less accomplished in her field.

“You are quite correct. I do not believe we have had the opportunity to meet before. I am Elysteria. I am visiting on behalf of the Dale’s new king, Ramiel.”

Just as she finishes speaking, a second mare approaches, this one a tri-colored paint. Elysteria’s smile for her is no less warm. The mare slips easily into the small group, placing herself next Engelsfors in a clear sign of solidarity. She wastes no time in introducing herself and asking for Elysteria’s purpose. The red mare offers her a slightly more deferential nod as she responds easily.

“It is a pleasure to meet you.” She offers her name once more, in case the mare had missed it. “I am Elysteria, Governor of the Dale. As we have recently had a new king ascend the throne, and as we have not had an opportunity to discuss the relations between our kingdoms in quite some time, I thought I might come to see how things fare.”
    elysteria

even  a n g e l s  fall

I wonder what it might be to fly, to feel the wind beneath feathers, whipping through tendrils of mane, feeling weightless against the sky. I wonder, and it is all I can do. There is a throb of envy, though it small, inconvenient and pointless, it is there nonetheless. Straia, dear Raven Goddess, Raven Queen, dressed in ebony feathers with a crown of thorns and ash and replete with feathers. She, she knows what it is like. And I often watch the skies for her, but I never know which one of the birds she is. They all replete the skies with their dark silhouettes. And I, I just simply admire them from down below, four feet firmly upon the ground.

Elysteria is polite, courteous. The way that a diplomat is normally. Honeyed words and polished tongues. Sapphire eyes watch her as she moves, without wings at all. Is it remarkably intriguing. I cock my sculptured head to the side, sapphire eyes lost behind the golden spun tresses. I say no more, am simply awed, still, by the magic that beats such a rhythmic pulse in Beqanna. A magic that throbs beneath my flinty hooves, within the heart of the Chamber.

'Charmed, I'm sure.' Black magic and silver lace slips from my tongue, a smooth, debonair grin etches upon my salmon muzzle as I clock Straia's entrance. The ground seems to throb more, a pulse livening beneath. The magic that dons her, she wears like a cloak, it thrums against the atmosphere and I feel her presence before she is even there. I dip my nose, as soon as she steps beside me. 'Straia. We have a guest.' my smile is smooth, never flickering. I turn my attention back to the bay toned mare, a curious brow tilting.

'Welcome to the Chamber, Elysteria.' Because formalities are always in check, and if discussions are had, there would be a welcome deemed fit for most, and as hospitable as the Chamber could possibly be. And for a kingdom that is brimming with activity and life, and so very much dark promise, the welcoming was a dark delight indeed. I pose a quick question, an eye keen, astute upon the Governor. 'What is your new King like, Elysteria?' For questions never go amiss, and there is always wonder. tongues never fail to amuse, to intertwine with such whimsical words. I say no more, closing my lips tightly and allowing the painted Queen her rightful turn. I was merely an underling who spun silvery threads beneath the Raven Goddess. She, she was the one with the bite, the power.

engelsfors

advisor of the chamber

Straia was certainly the one with the bite. There’s a reason Engelsfors has risen so quickly in the ranks, why Straia is content to let her greet and discuss terms. The mare is full of pretty words and warm greetings. Straia, on the other hand, though capable of such, rarely bothers. Particularly not with those that come to them, seeking information or alliances or whatever. The Dale had shown little to no interest in the Chamber under Tiphon, and in truth, the Chamber had shown little to no interest in the Dale either.

She already knows how the Dale is fairing. She knows there’s a new monarch. She knows that while they have a few more members the kingdom still isn’t worth the Chamber’s time. But she’s not stupid, and she realizes that perhaps this new king will prove himself worthwhile. It takes time to rebuild a kingdom. It had taken her years to get the Chamber to where it is today, so she won’t jump to any snap judgments or ruin what was the potential to be useful.

Still though, if she could, she’d let Engelsfors handle the whole damn thing. The mare had far more patience for it than Straia.

Engelsfors asks her own questions of the Dale, and Straia listens, interested in the answer herself. Not that the Governor would say anything but praising words, but she’ll have to ask the ravens how true the answer actually is. They could probably find out for her. Though really, the Dale rulers tend to be on the kinder side. She expects nothing exciting to come out of the Dale in the near future. “The Chamber is well,” she says simply. The ravens are relatively quiet at the moment, though they lurk in the trees above. For the moment, they all act normal, and in the Chamber, ravens look like they belong without any magical aid at all.

“We are recovering from the natural disaster that burned the trees, as you can see. How is the Dale these days?” She doesn’t mention how dead it was under Tiphon. Not even the Govenor had greeted Erebor on his trip. Just Tiphon, who had little to nothing to say. But she doesn’t know if this mare was even the Govenor at the time, so she keeps her mouth shut. It wasn’t time to make enemies. At least not yet.

straia

the raven queen of the chamber

image © Squirt

Use of mild power playing is allowed; no injuries without permission

Russet gaze moving between the two mares before her, she studies them circumspectly. The golden mare is smooth-tongued and courteous, hiding her thoughts and emotions behind a veil of glamour and charm. The Chamber’s queen is less the consummate actress in her demeanor, the barest hint of impatience shining through. She could well understand this. Likely Straia had far better things to do than entertain what could, at best, be considered a courtesy call.

Her attention turns easily back to the golden mare as she asks after their king. She pauses for a moment, considering how best to describe the Dale’s new ruler to them. As with anybody, Ramiel is so multi-faceted that it is difficult to sum him up in a few words. And even were she so inclined, she would have difficulty finding anything bad to say of him. She would have been hard pressed to name a better choice for their new ruler. Ramiel had been devoted to the Dale since the day of his birth, had put himself entirely into becoming a fit king for the day he would inherit the throne.

“He is stoic, though his heart is brave and true. He will lead the Dale well.”

Her words are simple, describing him as best she can in few words. She does not expound on her explanation, finding no reason to. They would find out for themselves soon enough just what sort of king Ramiel would be. She turns her attention then to Straia’s words, smile resting easily upon her lips.

“I am delighted to see and hear that the Chamber is recovering so well. The Dale is also well. Growing, in fact.”

Just as Straia does not mention many things, neither does she. Though the Dale had been quiet for many years, life is stirring within their borders now. She and the other members had been putting themselves diligently forward in an effort to ensure its expansion. The Dale is no longer content being small and quiet.

“It seems that you are doing the same. I do hope that our kingdoms can remain on friendly terms.”

Or if not friendly, at the very least cordial, though she does not say this aloud. The Chamber had never been known for its friendliness.

“I do not wish to take up too much of your time. I’m sure you both have much better things to do than to entertain me all day.”
    elysteria
      If Kushiel knew anything, it was that he very often couldn’t help himself. It was his most endearing and his most most taxing quality. If he could prevent himself from doing most of the things he did, he would, but that would also mean he accomplished very little.

Now was one of those times.

Kushiel had surprised even himself by pledging as a diplomat of the Chamber. Whether his new home really wanted him to represent their interests was a completely different story. Yes, he wanted to stay, but to what end nobody could really be sure. He wouldn’t blame them if they grew weary of him. Even he could admit that his own company was rather a lot.

Perhaps his mother would take him back if they threw him out.

For all he knew it was a bad idea, Kushiel weaved his way toward the group of gathering diplomats. He had seen the mare fly in, and he had only seen one mare fly like that.

Surely, it couldn't be the same girl?

But yes, yes it was. They had met once before, in the Field, when Kushiel had crashed a conversation with a potential recruit. That meeting hadn’t gone particularly well, and Kushiel had the distinct impression that he had offended her. To be fair, she had done a fair job of hiding it. But her regard, or rather her disregard, was like a scab, he just couldn’t leave it alone. He had to pick at it.

He cheerfully made his way to her side, grinning at he did so. This would be the second conversation of hers he crashed, but surely his Chambermates wouldn’t mind. He was, after all, one of them.

“Look who’s here! Elysteria, was it?” Kushiel cleared his throat in a way he thought made him sound very sophisticated, nonchalant even.

“You know, I was trying to recruit your friend, but there’s more than enough room for one more.” His devilish smile was growing by the minute, in a second he would be snarling, like a wolf who was having a grand time.

“Truly," he added, because if she did come to genuinely hate him, Kushiel's fun would be dampened considerably.

“It’s a pleasure to see you, and would be a greater pleasure if you ditched the Dale to stay longer.”
    He winked, all flashing teeth and genuine good humor. 

Life was full of happy coincidences.

Kushiel
    some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall