• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

when you came in, the air went out, adna

SabbatH
    i'll let you play the role. i'll be your animal.
    If she could, she would readily split her heart in two and share it with her sister so they might both be close to whole again. In many ways, though, Sabbath is still childish in her belief that things will ever be complete for them. Their loneliness is a fracture that has healed crooked. How far would they have to break in order to be made right again? Would they have to face the fire as their father did? Would Beqanna’s magic swallow them whole and crave them new bodies, stronger bodies like it did for their mother? No, fortune does not smile on them, but she can imagine that she feels the sun on her face for now.

Adna’s words are all teeth when she lies and Sabbath hears it but she says nothing. If she just loved her enough, maybe these scars could fade. If she just held her a little tighter then they could be together again. And so she does. She clings until she worries their scales may fuse into one and then she holds on a little longer. Her tears well up in her eyes but she keeps herself from crying and being so weak. The younger girl puts on a brave smile when Adna confesses that she has missed her, and this time it is truth.

(Had anyone ever said they missed her? Had anyone even felt that for her before?)

Here, it’s so easy to forget the way Eight made her into a plaything. The taste of his magic and blood, like battery acid on her tongue, feels like a bad dream in another life. There is only safety here. She exhales and her breath shakes a little before she finally pulls away to look into Adna’s eyes. Sabbath nods and laughs, returning the soft bump in a tender display of affection.

But then she asks about the father and Sabbath feels her smile wither.

Oh.. I’m not sure. It’s not like I’m special to him or.. to anyone, really,” she says, those tears rising up and threatening to spill over this time. She forces her smile to return and she tries to swallow the knot in her throat. How could she tell Adna that her only worth to boys is her body? She isn’t clever or funny. She’s not even pretty enough for them to stay. She’s just teeth and warm blood.

His name is Bethlehem. I don’t think he’s really from anywhere. I named her Prayer, and luckily she looks more like him than me,” she says with a laugh that tumbles crooked from her lips. She tries to smile but the expression is just pointed teeth pretending they’re happy.
    @[adna]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: when you came in, the air went out, adna - by Sabbath - 08-21-2019, 04:16 PM