• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  I will be your sword and shield; any
    She regards Brazen beneath her crimson lashes, her eyes search the blue ones of her companion. They have slowed their walking and both of the young mares come to an eventual stop.

They are alike in their coloring, both fire-bright and flame-kissed. They share blue eyes that stand out so vibrantly against their chestnut coats. And it would seem they share even more in common. Had the conversation ventured that way, Lilliana would have shared her similar experiences with Brazen. She would have told she knows what it is to be raised by a parent who has to weigh both the responsibility of a realm and a family. She could tell her she knows what a perilous balancing task it can be.

While her mother hadn't been cold or distant, Aletta had been focused and driven. She had a purpose and that purpose woke her before the dawn and kept her long after dusk. A herd of abandoned mares and young foals, the eldest colts among them not even three, meant that Aletta worked tirelessly to secure her borders and her home. It meant that as soon as Lilliana could trot, she was accompanying her mother on visits to the others to make sure that the families torn apart by war were adapting as best they could and short of bringing their loved ones back, there was nothing more Aletta could do avail their troubles.

It was here Lilliana learned how to be a balm. She learned how to soothe her mother, how to calm Brielle when her temper reared, how to tempt Malachi from his worries and how to prevent Jay from growing to serious. She learned then that her family was small, and that it was broken by the absence of her father, but she how she loved them, adored them.

They were precious and dear because they were hers.

Lilliana studies her companion as she grows quiet and her own eyes grow somber with concern. Brazen's half-smile spurs Lilli's small understanding one but she still wonders what has suddenly withdrawn her friend. A delicate ears flickers to her words and Lilliana reaches out to gently brush her dark muzzle against Brazen's shoulder, something that serves as apology and understanding. "Sometimes they don't know how to be anything else," a paltry offering to the armored mare's words.

"What about your father?" she asks, half-teasing and half-hoping that perhaps Brazen's sire might be an entirely different story as she regains her stance.

As the conversation drifts and moves away from the talk of parents and family, Lilliana reveals a little about her past. She doesn't mean too. Outside of Elaina, this is the most she has ever said about the whole ordeal to anyone. It's an olive branch of trust that she doesn't realize she is even offering yet, the first outreaching branch of friendship. Her first attempt at trust. There is something in Brazen that she recognizes, some part of her soul that feels that she already knows the young mare and this is perhaps the reason she says as much as does. There is empathy and kindness there, something that radiates from within Brazen and makes her beautiful and wonderful, that lights Brazen up like a candle.

When she thinks that the mention of Broch will swallow and drown her, drag down into the well of emotion that she has so adamantly kept closed, she feels the tickling touch of Brazen's teeth against her fire gold coat and shocked, the crimson girl laughs. The anguish recedes in the glow of her friend's warmth and her affection for the young mare leaps and dances in her chest. How grateful she is for you, Brazen.

"It's alright," comes her hushed reply. Lilliana is learning that her past will always be a hard topic. It will take acceptance and practice to bring herself to terms with it. But in moments like these, she is learning how to do that.

But Lilliana is still unsure of herself. Confidence has always been something that she has sorely lacked and so she looks to Brazen now, hoping for some kind guidance on this topic. "Do you think this is foolish?" she asks honestly. She stills her body and the crimson coat grows taut over her slender form, apprehension dawning over every part of her. "I don't know what I'm doing," she admits (though that is not so hard to see), "or where to begin.".

But she has to start somewhere. It might hurt. It might only bring her more despair. It's a consequence that she decides to accept. She has already lost her home, her family and whatever glimpses she saw of a future are long gone. Lilliana decides to trust her mettle because what else is there to lose now?

It could be a gamble or nothing at all - but in the scheme of things, she finds herself ready to take a risk.

"I'd like to know."

Come what may, in the end, isn't it about the journey? And if the journey has brought her a friend in Brazen then perhaps the loss of the Dale is not so unbearable.
    LILLIANA
    i left home on account of snow
    (buried all the things i know)

@[Brazen] hi yes be my friend pls
    but it's all in the past, love
    it's all gone with the wind

Messages In This Thread
    I will be your sword and shield; any - by Brazen - 06-26-2019, 04:58 PM
    you can forgive and i won't forget - by lilliana - 07-04-2019, 05:22 PM
    RE: I will be your sword and shield; any - by lilliana - 09-19-2019, 07:24 PM