• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  the graveyard follows the trail of the flame; any
    “I haven’t been spat out yet. Although I’m positive to be second course soon.”

Ah. Set remembers now where he’s seen the well-built stallion before. Magnus had come to Salomea’s aid when one of Niklas’ pets had nearly drowned her, their first night back in Beqanna. Golden eyes dancing, he meets Magnus’ with that lopsided grin, his breathing slowing back to a normal rate. “I daresay you might be a sight more intelligent than you look,” he jokes. He lowers his head and snorts, masking a bit of magic with another violent roll of his sweaty shoulders, calling the wolves off (Niklas’ hellhound has already lost interest); in a careless afterthought, he sends them completely out of Taiga. Set’s mischievous gaze swings back up to catch Magnus’ next words. “I had come up see how Taiga fares in the current climate. Keeping my finger on the pulse and all that. It appears this will be much different.”

One ear twists back, then the other, followed closely by his head and neck to meet mother and child as they step into view. The first thing he notices about her is her eyes – a striking gold not dissimilar to his own, a fierce inner strength nestled in depths he immediately knows few have fathomed. “Taiga fares quite well. We’re good, strong, stubborn folk, and a fair few of us have dug in our heels to ride out this latest disaster together here at home. My name is Lilitha, and this is my daughter, Singe. I’m sorry, I missed the introductions. Where are you gentlemen from?”

"This is Magnus from Tephra," Ruan says, his tone wary but otherwise neutral, in spite of Set’s dirty games. Impressive.

The winter wolf had already moved to one side of Lilitha and in true fashion, Set ignores the immediate questions posed and moves closer to her as well. “Oh love,” his brow furrows in consternation as he walks around her, circling to the opposite side of Ruan in inspection, tut-tutting under his breath. Her black hide is a mass of scars, some obvious claw marks. Drawing back up alongside her, he lets out a loud sigh, facial features relaxing back into that crooked grin. “You are exquisite.” There is no mistaking the honesty in his admiration and he reaches out to brush his nose against her brilliant red mane in the barest of touches. “One day soon, you’ll have to tell me your story.”

“I’m Set,” he abruptly introduces himself, not caring whether they recognize his name or not. It is neither Magnus, Ruan, or Lilitha that he speaks to now, though, but the tiny charge at the scarred mare’s side, her beautiful snakeskin pattern obvious even in the low light of the forest. He slowly lowers his head to give her a reassuring smile and an exaggerated wink. She seems a timid thing, pressed tightly to her mother’s side, and his smile does not waver when he reaches inside himself to let loose just a bit of harmless magic. If it affects her, it will last only as long as he is around, a gentle sense of peace and security.

As if he’s just remembered the adults present, his head swings up. “Once of the Chamber. Now, I’ve yet to find somewhere worth staying.” He misses his home.

He drops his head to Singe's level again. “I like you, so I am going to warn you. You’ll have to watch out for this one here,” he says conspiratorially, widening his eyes for effect as he jerks his poll in Magnus’ direction. “I heard he likes to eat foals for lunch,” he finishes in an exaggerated stage whisper.

Messages In This Thread
    RE: the graveyard follows the trail of the flame; any - by Set - 12-02-2018, 04:52 AM