• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

tuesday i was through with hoping; Litotes
    litotes

Kensa’s persistence wears at Litotes. He is warmed by the sight of Rune perched on her back, even more delighted when she does not shy away. The little sand cat was quick to become a big part of his life: a constant influx of wisdom and sass. He focuses his attention solely on Rune, not thinking of the risk he is taking in being so close to Kensa.

The familiar kicks Lie from her mind, not necessarily cutting him off but blocking him from her thoughts. The cremello suppresses an irritated sigh and looks back to Kensa, pricking his ears forward when she begins to speak again. She says that she is fine but enough studying of his counterpart tells him she is not telling the whole truth. Maybe it is the softest sadness coloring her voice or the way she does not reach for him - no matter what small hint she unknowingly gives, Lie can sense it (he must know).

Their shoulders brush when the liver chestnut steps to his side - every bit of an icy wall he had built between them melts in that instance. This was not a shoulder to lean on, but an affectionate brush (a reminder of the nearly unbreakable bond they had so quickly formed). No one has brought Litotes out of his shell like Kensa - perhaps it was the vulnerability he felt and the absolute chance of her being the one to show up or perhaps they really were just two puzzle pieces that fit together.

It is not until the General comes out his thoughts that he realizes he has fallen into a synchronized step with Kensa. He blinks a few times and glances over at her, trying and failing at suppressing a half-smile. They talk here and there, whispered exchanges discussing everything and nothing. Lie is grateful for this down time even with the threat of the plague hanging on every word.

They are searching for something - what they are searching for, Litotes is not sure of yet. He knows he needs to rest, knows Kensa wants him to rest, so perhaps a place to rest? Though there were plenty of places they could have bedded down in . . . this feels different. Nevertheless, he follows Kensa, trusts her to lead him for he can barely put one hoof in front of the other.

A small valley stretches before them, cozy and beautiful. The cremello shakes his head to clear the sick haze, but finds his mane covers his eyes instead. He peers through the loose locks, noting the yellowed grass just beneath the snow. Kens points out the creek just as Lie hears its faint trickling. The water drips at the back of the clearing, with a copse of aspens scattered just beyond. A hint of a ledge glimmers past the trees, picking at Lie’s curiosity.

“This is perfect - beautiful,” excitement punctuated by a few small coughs. “I want to look past the trees . . .” he trails off, closing his eyes, “then . . . rest . . .”

Rune hops down, leaping impossibly high to get through the snow. Litotes follows her, finding the small but dangerous cliffside. Below is a long stretch of gray boulders and dark mountain soil. If one were clumsy enough, they could stumble right off the edge with the only defense against the drop being the barren trees. Terrifying but beautiful: the ledge offers a view of Hyaline like no other.

“Do you see this view?” a whisper, faint and almost lost on the wind. “Though if children stay up here . . .”

i don't want your pity, i just want somebody near me
    guess i'm a coward, i just want to feel all right

@[Kensa]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: tuesday i was through with hoping; Litotes - by litotes - 11-29-2018, 03:06 PM