• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  higher, faster, everlasting; Elysteria
    the taigan
    She smiled at something and his head tilted, almost feeling his lips try to mirror it with a little quirk. Hers was dazzling and sweet, matching the soft glow buried in her eyes. She seemed such a gentle creature, but the sharp scars scoring her body told him she didn't have to be. She could've become bitter or fearful or harsh. She chose to be this way, and it said a lot about her.

It spoke of a strength so many overlooked, or could even mistake for weakness.

He was pleased that she'd known the Valley. There was a quiet, shared understanding between those that had lived Before, had survived the chaos of the Reckoning. The younger generations couldn't understand how it had torn families and friends apart, how so many had simply vanished to never be seen again by their loved ones.

He'd been lucky. He hadn't had anyone but Kilter to care for and the boy hadn't even been his. His heart ached at the memory of him, even still to this day clinging to the hope that he'd see him again. He wouldn't allow himself to believe Kilter had died.

The Dale had been her home. His attention focused on her as her eyes returned to him.

"Now though? I'm afraid I haven't anywhere to call my own." He smiled at that, quiet and only peeking through his somber expression subtly though it warmed his bright blue eyes with humor.

"I thought you were where you were meant to be?" His lips lifted more, finally settling in a smooth smile, teasing gently. "Do you often change your mind so quickly? Or will you be staying?" He thought he'd like her to, would like to get to know her better. He couldn't say so aloud though, so often second-guessing himself now with how his wife had accused him of wanting someone that was not her. Impossible. She should have known him better. There had been confusion on his friend's part too though, so he'd clearly done something wrong at some point.

It still hurt that either of them could ever think he'd care for someone else that way when he was married. It hurt that those closest to him hadn't seemed to know him at all.

He was naturally so intense, too intense, and he realized he was directing that at Elysteria now. His gaze slid away to peer at the forest around them as she had done, to free her of his penetrating looks that seemed to be so often mistaken for something more. It was not natural to pull his eyes away and he had to force it on himself. Learning society's rules for acceptable behavior went against his nature, against his Dominance, and his damned eyes simply returned to her of their own.

He gave up. Society be damned, it never did anything for him anyway.

"I hope you'll stay," he said evenly, his voice firm with his buried irritation and confusion regarding his past. She would be a welcome light in these dark times, and he was completely unaware of how accurate that was. "I should return to my children," he said softly, his eyes dimming a little. They weren't from his marriage but they were all he had left of a semblance of family and they were everything to him. Jinju, Fur, and Aten. Soldat, Polaris. He was blessed, he knew. He was so fortunate to have them. Now Lilitha too and her baby.

He turned and paused, watching her. 
    "I hope to see you again."

Messages In This Thread
    higher, faster, everlasting; Elysteria - by Ruan - 11-10-2018, 07:34 PM
    RE: higher, faster, everlasting; Elysteria - by Ruan - 12-01-2018, 12:05 PM