• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I smile in the face of fear; Lynx
    My heart saw the things my eyes couldn't see
    He hides his smile against her skin, delighted by the way she shivers beneath his touch. Still she resists, a token resistance, but Fox is a very stubborn man. He could out-stubborn even her, and that’s saying something. Of course, had he been any less, he might have given up on her long ago. But, even if he cannot read her thoughts, he knows it’s fear that holds her back far more than anything else.

No matter how jovial his outlook, even he understands the world is not a kind one. And she could see it so much more clearly than he could.

She is distracted briefly by his question. He can feel her soften beneath the thought of their daughter, and he rubs his nose affectionately against her dark skin. “Hmmmmmm,” he rumbles thoughtfully, eyes growing distant as he considers possibilities.

Before he can start tossing out ideas however, she interrupts him. He blinks, gaze coming into focus as she presses closer to him. A frown creases his features as it slowly becomes clear she had been hiding her discomfort from him. Or rather, much more likely, ignoring it entirely. But it seems their little girl is waiting for no one.

Alarm suddenly bubbles forth in his chest as she closes her eyes, grimacing against the pain. “Lynx?” he questions softly, pressing his muzzle in worried patterns along her shoulder and neck, breath whuffing softly against as he tries to verify she is truly ok. This is normal, right? This is what’s supposed to happen?

When she settles herself onto the ground, he noses worriedly at her for a moment before abruptly stepping back to give her space. His gaze jumps to a distant point as he wonders briefly if he should fetch help. A healer. Something. “Do you… need anything?”

He frets over her still, going from pacing protectively around her to lightly touching her just to verify she was still doing well enough. He uses his snow and ice to soothe her tired, over-heated flesh. As much as she would allow, at least. But in the end it seems all of his fretting had been for naught. With very little ado, their filly slips into the world.

His own happiness bursts inside his chest when he gets his first clear look at her. He hovers over them as Lynx fusses at her, bright eyes darting from mother to daughter and back again, as though unable to decide where to land. An irresistible grin tugs at his lips as he finally settles beside Lynx, reaching down to fuss gently over the little red filly too.

“She is perfect,” he whispers with quiet awe. She is a blend of them both, his mottled red and her mother’s perfect white splashes. His gaze turns to Lynx then, briefly, a hint of amusement returning to his tone. “Just like her mother.”

Their daughter begins to struggle in earnest then, trying to pull her wobbly little frame sternal. Fox nudges her gently, helpfully, until finally she manages, her gaze turning up to peer innocently at her parents. Barely minutes old, and she’s already managed to steal his heart. “What do you think of Persea?” he finally suggests. She smiles at them, a wide, toothless smile that is all gums, as though she agrees. Fox can’t help the return grin that sneaks onto his lips.
    Fox

Messages In This Thread
    I smile in the face of fear; Lynx - by Fox - 11-09-2018, 01:22 PM
    RE: I smile in the face of fear; Lynx - by lynx - 11-11-2018, 11:39 PM
    RE: I smile in the face of fear; Lynx - by Fox - 11-15-2018, 05:26 PM
    RE: I smile in the face of fear; Lynx - by lynx - 11-23-2018, 06:27 PM
    RE: I smile in the face of fear; Lynx - by Fox - 11-27-2018, 05:20 PM
    RE: I smile in the face of fear; Lynx - by lynx - 12-04-2018, 02:19 AM
    RE: I smile in the face of fear; Lynx - by Fox - 12-06-2018, 02:49 PM
    RE: I smile in the face of fear; Lynx - by Persea - 12-06-2018, 02:53 PM
    RE: I smile in the face of fear; Lynx - by lynx - 12-07-2018, 11:24 PM
    RE: I smile in the face of fear; Lynx - by Fox - 12-13-2018, 11:11 AM